This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UX581GV keyboard backlight

realstephenbair
Star III
Can anyone confirm that the keyboard backlight (F7 key) works when in the BIOS setup screen? I'm trying to narrow this down to a missing driver or a hardware issue.
13 REPLIES 13

realstephenbair
Star III
Thanks! Yup I got all those updates now. Still no working keyboard backlight.

MotoWiZ
Rising Star II
When you press F7 key, you see splash info on the screen, like the picture?
captura-de-ecr-c3-a3-2021-04-01-105510.jpg
Try to press only F7 key, and combination FN+F7 key.
If you don't see the splash then it's probably a problem of drivers, or of the key itself.
If you see the splash then it can be a problem of the drivers or the backlight...
Do the other function keys work and show their splash? For example F1 cuts sound, F2 decreases volume and F3 raises it?

realstephenbair
Star III
All other function keys show the splash. The F7 key works fine as a function key (I've tested it with a utility program). I've tried F7 and Fn+F7 (locked and unlocked). I've opened the case and confirmed that the backlight ribbon cable is connected properly to the motherboard. This happened after an RMA for a bad battery. I did multiple Windows resets/reinstalls and installed all available ASUS drivers/software manually.
Several other people have posted in here that this happened to them after an RMA.
Either the Windows reset is wiping something out, or something is being damaged in the RMA process.

MotoWiZ
Rising Star II
F7 shows the splash? If so then it would be a hardware problem, send it to Asus again for them to repair it.
If it happened after a RMA then you should complain.

realstephenbair
Star III
F7 does not show the splash.
I'm not sending it in again. It look a month last time.