This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colorbanding defeated

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
So as of today the 21.03.2021 color banding has been defeated. Now at the beginning I was under the impression that the crappy color banding was caused by pixelworks and guess what?
It wasn't.
Infact the reason this happened was actually because of ASUS not wanting to implement any type of gamma correction at all, while other manufacturers like nubia and oneplus have infact added gamma correction in their kernels. So today I simply stole some code from Oneplus 8 kernel like the naughty naughty boy I am and magic has happened. So what are the results of this?

Now as you can see the difference is absolutely insane. Blacks have returned, no pixelation and the screen looks absolutely georgous! Honestly this screen after calibration seems absolutely amazing, ASUS was not lying when they said that these panels are actually high quality. Granted the quality of the screen cannot be seen in those pictures very well as smartphone cameras have great difficulty catching stuff in the dark with huge amount of details. I took a closer shot as well to show that even the black crush is quite in check as well:

How exacly an absolutely new guy like me who has extremely little experience with kernel development could fix an issue i looked at in weeks while the experienced asus team didn't get the solution until this date is beyond me right now. I hope that the devs will fix it very soon now that they know they can simply nab code from nubia or oneplus and some modifications, today my SSD died with my ubuntu and kernel sourcecode on it, so only thing I have left is a flashable zip file that would most likely crash on 75% of rog3 devices due to extreme amount of undervolt, i will still share to those who want to try, but successrate won't be high :'D
At this point I want to thank Freak07 for introducing and helping me to get into kernel development much faster than I would have taken by myself.
92 REPLIES 92

hank_email_is
Rising Star II
Question for a noob here, one you rooted your phone, can you root back the official kernel for your warranty? Can the manufacture tell the difference?

pradhyumna
Rising Star I
Danishblunt

This makes me kinda really happy!

yaaayyy-jpg.jpg

See? I told you the panel on the rog 3 is high quality, it's on par with a high quality samsung panel on the Oneplus 8 pro 🙂

View post
Bro pls guide for installing it.
Highly appreciate your efforts...

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
hank_email_is

Question for a noob here, one you rooted your phone, can you root back the official kernel for your warranty? Can the manufacture tell the difference?

View post
No, unlocking the bootloader will blacklist your device and void your warranty!
@pradhyumna pm sent 🙂

pradhyumna
Rising Star I
@Danishblunt
Hats off to you bro...
Its working great on latest Firmware WW_17.0823.2102.143
I've tried my device on all FPS , Keeping my device on 144hz giving me awesome display output. Videos are not getting washed out. Black crush also unseen.
Also observed the Brightness level on 0% is deemed than stock.
Keep the great work.
😍
active-apk.jpg
kernel-installation.png

All the best for your future android developments.
CHEERS.

himverma2012
Rising Star II
Now I also wanna try this 😥😭. Why can't the developers use the same method to eliminate the black crush @Gustav_ASUS @Christine @Titan_ASUS ?
Let this be implemented in A11 beta as well so that we can give the feedback on display!
(fingers crossed 🤞🤞)