This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Colorbanding defeated

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
So as of today the 21.03.2021 color banding has been defeated. Now at the beginning I was under the impression that the crappy color banding was caused by pixelworks and guess what?
It wasn't.
Infact the reason this happened was actually because of ASUS not wanting to implement any type of gamma correction at all, while other manufacturers like nubia and oneplus have infact added gamma correction in their kernels. So today I simply stole some code from Oneplus 8 kernel like the naughty naughty boy I am and magic has happened. So what are the results of this?

Now as you can see the difference is absolutely insane. Blacks have returned, no pixelation and the screen looks absolutely georgous! Honestly this screen after calibration seems absolutely amazing, ASUS was not lying when they said that these panels are actually high quality. Granted the quality of the screen cannot be seen in those pictures very well as smartphone cameras have great difficulty catching stuff in the dark with huge amount of details. I took a closer shot as well to show that even the black crush is quite in check as well:

How exacly an absolutely new guy like me who has extremely little experience with kernel development could fix an issue i looked at in weeks while the experienced asus team didn't get the solution until this date is beyond me right now. I hope that the devs will fix it very soon now that they know they can simply nab code from nubia or oneplus and some modifications, today my SSD died with my ubuntu and kernel sourcecode on it, so only thing I have left is a flashable zip file that would most likely crash on 75% of rog3 devices due to extreme amount of undervolt, i will still share to those who want to try, but successrate won't be high :'D
At this point I want to thank Freak07 for introducing and helping me to get into kernel development much faster than I would have taken by myself.
92 REPLIES 92

botboy444
Zen Master I
Aman89053

Omg this danish guy is a big time scammer.....

He did nothing ....

Tell the truth @Danishblunt brother...

Else I have to make a separate thread with proofs ...to expose you...

How can you take a credit of someone else's hardwork...??

I knew that you know nothing about tech...when you said u can't use air triggers after flashing kirasakura...kernel.

View post
plus, regardless of who did it, they have contributed a hell of a lot more to the rog 3 than you have

Aman89053
Rising Star II
botboy444

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/158851#Comment_158851

plus, regardless of who did it, they have contributed a hell of a lot more to the rog 3 than you have

View post
Hey you can't take full credit of yourself doing everything..

I m not including myself anywhere ...he just updated his kernel ...that anyone can do..
I m just talking about the credit ...
Anyone can install a kirasakura kernel...and update it...
Ok..
And I don't wanna get into silly conversation with you guys...
U can go and take a look at XDA forums under rog 3- kirasakura-2.01
Developer who did everything nowhere mentioned his name and gave credit ...to him

And you can use air triggers offcourse after rooting your device
Peace out

botboy444
Zen Master I
Aman89053

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/158857#Comment_158857

I m not including myself anywhere ...he just updated his kernel ...that anyone can do..

Ok..

Developer who did everything nowhere mentioned his name and gave credit ...to him

Peace out

View post
if you really wanna go a head and make a massive scene for something that only you seem to care about, be my guest, you're literally the only person that seems to care that blackcrush got fixed. lmfao.

Im pretty sure if Danish fixed the backcrush issue that Freak07 didn't, they can take full credit for it 🙂 that's how open sourcing works!

Freak07 is actually the dev of the kirasakura kernel, which is used on A LOT of devices, just check his GitHub and the + 10,037 contributors to the kernel 🙂

If anyone can install the kernel and update it, why didnt you fix blackcrush huh?
I'll agree that its a bit sus that Freak07 didnt give credit to Danish in their post, but who the hell cares, really?
also, im pretty sure no one said you cant use the triggers while using a rooted phone, you cant use them if you have a custom rom however which is a totally different thing

im not getting into a discussion about it because its childish.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Aman89053

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/158857#Comment_158857

Ok..

Peace out

View post
Install his tweak and you'll realize that it doesnt fix banding at all, infact it makes it even worse. It's an experiment on his part, no need to credit anyone for that, all it does is make the phone better for low brightness visibility. He's giving me ideas, I'm giving him ideas, nothing more to it. It's important to note the solution I have is not public, nobody can copy my code, there exist no github reopsitory or anything of the sort, it died with my SSD and only I have this particular solution as of today or maybe some private kernel developers have developt this "op8 / nubia" fix in their kernel.
@botboy444 As mentioned previously, no need to credit anyone about giving others ideas for experiments, otherwise Freak07 credits list would probably be as long as a book.

badvlad03
Star II
@Danishblunt, I want to try it bro. Can you post the tutorial how to do it? Thank you.