This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning, Killer power bank watch out, awaiting fix

evnchn
Rising Star II
Image_ https___us.v-cdn.net_6031231_uploads_editor_t5_w3b4d3erb4xq.jpg25dhjxyr8alg.jpgThis power bank does not obey Quick Charge standards and outputs 12V, knowing that this phone only have 9V input, you know the consequences. Once killed my phone, luckily it was within 10 days of purchase and I was able to return it after it self-recovered for 2 days and refuse to fast charge anymore. Using my phone I can verify it bugs out all the time. If you have this power bank, stop using IMMEDIATELY / only use slow charge port. 
Meanwhile, ASUS, can you do some software safety to guard the device from problematic chargers? Maybe you can stop the the charging when voltage requested by QC does not match power bank real output voltage and does not trigger hardware safety. 
9 REPLIES 9

kinguntas23
Rising Star II
Well I'd always buy a trusted brand. Things like these always happen on random brands

ColorSage
Zen Master I
Quick Charge 4.0 supports from 3.6V up to 20V DC. Maximum power is 18W so it will automatically draw sufficient amperage. 12V shouldn't kill any QC4 smartphone (source: Wikipedia). My car has QC3 charger that gives outputs 5V, 9V and 12V and it works just fine.

evnchn
Rising Star II
No, in fact, this phone only have circuitry capable of 9V. Don't try to put 12V in it to prove your point, you may need a repair. In a good Quick Charge 3 handshake, the phone requests any voltage with accuracy of ±0.2V and the charger is supposed to recreate that voltage, thus this problem may either be the phones problem or the power banks. (Quick charge standard does not enforce all voltages, therefore, it is entirely possible for <20V endurance from input, hence the need of software protection to interrupt the charging) 

ColorSage
Zen Master I
I was waiting for your reply as I could only rely on poor Wiki specs. It's hard to find anywhere how exacly QC behaves. So that range is for the chargers or only for a handshake? Charger starts with 5V and phone requests different voltage (9V in this case)?