This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will the North America version of ROG Phone 5 feature 5G mmWave?

Android
Rising Star I
From what I heard, the ROG Phone 5 does not feature 5G mmWave probably because countries outside of the United States don't feature it.
I think it would be great for ASUS to work with carriers in the United States such as T-Mobile, Verizon, and AT&T to try to get the ROG Phone 5 to work with as many network bands possible in North America. Just like VoLTE, the lack of full 5G compatibility are basic phone features that ASUS is overlooking once again.
Phones usually have different regional variants to better fit the different network types in different countries (e.g. GSM and/or CDMA compatibility) so I'm hoping that the North American version of the ROG Phone 5 will also be compatible with mmWave. Otherwise, it would seem like the ROG Phone 5 will become obsolete very fast.
6 REPLIES 6

NBPDC505
Star III
You'd be hard pressed to find a location to use mmwave for more than a few feet outside of a sporting event or similar.

Android
Rising Star I

NBPDC505

You'd be hard pressed to find a location to use mmwave for more than a few feet outside of a sporting event or similar.

View post
It's mostly for future proofing the device for when mmWave becomes commonly used.
Also, I live in one of the densest cities in the United States which mmWave is meant to target. I get that it's not important for rural and suburban people but it's a great feature for people living in dense populated cities.