cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 5z stop charging at around 82~86%

jeremy_c_sun
Star II
Model Name: Zenfone 5z
Firmware Version: latest system updates. Android 10.
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: Starting from yesterday until now
There was no recent system update in the past month, afaik.
Yesterday when I was charging my phone, the charging suddenly stopped. Then, it went back on and off a few times in the span of a few seconds, for a couple of times, until it fully stopped, at around 86% battery. It never happened before.
I thought something was broken so I switched to another charging cable, then a different charger, then a different charger in another room, and last a portable battery charger. It worked sometimes and most of the time it just ignored the charging cable.
After a full day of testing, I have the following results:
If a charging stop, it won't come back soon.
The lower the charge on the battery, the better the chance that it would start charging.
If the phone starts charging, it will charge all the way to 8x% and then stops.
Question.
Is this a battery care thing? The battery care setting on my phone has nothing but a time setting. And, battery care wasn't even turned on.
Is this a charger issue? should I just take it back to the repair shop, the sixth time in 3 years? Last 5 times I was there, they were mostly about a No Network Connection problem.
Or the battery is just dying?
My warranty has expired. I want to get an idea about the problem before making the decision of sending it to the repair shop or just buy a new one.
21 REPLIES 21

1947msr
Rising Star I
jeremy.c.sun

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/157402#Comment_157402

Just a note for you. My phone charged to 82% full at the beginning before it stopped charging, 77% yesterday and 60% today. It seems that mine won't last until the weekend.

The problem to bring it to the repair centre is that they'd threaten to erase your phone every single time and sometimes they really do. Hopefully, it is nothing but a dying battery.

View post
If it stop charging, then, press again back panel, this trick is working for me, and please disable scheduled charging if you enabled it

jeremy_c_sun
Star II
1947msr

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/157424#Comment_157424

If it stop charging, then, press again back panel, this trick is working for me, and please disable scheduled charging if you enabled it

View post
I brought my phone to the repair shop yesterday. It seems that the service centre in my area has gone over a few changes since my last time being there. They no longer have a repairman with them and they have to send my phone back to their headquarter, which means it'll take 3-5 days before I have my phone back.
If you are going to the service centre too, you should:
backup your data
erase sensitive information, if any, on your phone
password protect your important phone applications or log out from all of them
un-password protect your phone
The nice gentleman at the counter said that they needed to run tests after the battery replacement so I needed to let install programs on my phone if I did not want my phone being wiped out. That said, it is not guaranteed that the phone will come back with all data.
Hope this helps you.

jeremy_c_sun
Star II
A quick round up.
1) Battery changed. Everything's working great again. Nothing was erased in my case.
2) My phone was cleaned professionally and looked as good as new when it came back.
3) It is more expensive comparing to the days when I bought my own battery, but we don't have that choice anymore with most of the phones in the market these days. The worst part is the down time. I have two dozen alarms set each day on my phone and a lot of planned events with notifications. The two days waiting is not good enough, especially when most of the time is spent on the couriers.
My advice if you have a similar issue:
Bring the phone to the service centre as soon as you can. 5z is a good phone that is still good for another year or two.

AmitGarde
Community Legend II
jeremy.c.sun

A quick round up.

1) Battery changed. Everything's working great again. Nothing was erased in my case.

2) My phone was cleaned professionally and looked as good as new when it came back.

3) It is more expensive comparing to the days when I bought my own battery, but we don't have that choice anymore with most of the phones in the market these days. The worst part is the down time. I have two dozen alarms set each day on my phone and a lot of planned events with notifications. The two days waiting is not good enough, especially when most of the time is spent on the couriers.

Bring the phone to the service centre as soon as you can. 5z is a good phone that is still good for another year or two.

View post
Great to hear this...
Now you can share some good SOT screenshots so that other users who are complaining about battery draining due to poor software will finally realise that software has nothing to do with unwanted drain. And changing battery will bring alot of improvement to system.
We are waiting..!

1947msr
Rising Star I
jeremy.c.sun

A quick round up.

View post
Glad to hear, Mine was just loose flex cable connecting to main board and sub board
d1-80-d0-b0-d0-b7-d0-be-d0-b1-d1-80-d0-b0-d1-82-d1-8c-asus-zenfone-5-ze620kl-d0-a8-d0-b0-d0-b3-9-d0-98-d0-b7-d0-be-d0-b1-d1-80-d0-b0-d0-b6-d0-b5-d0-bd-d0-b8-d0-b5-1-1.jpg