This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before you think of upgrading to Rog5

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Honestly there are so many weird topics here surrounding the Rog5 being superior and people acting like it's some next evolution.
Guys let me clear some things up for you:
The screen is the same.
the speaker are basicially the same,.
the batterilife is worse on the Rog5 due to higher TDP from the SoC.
The LED on the back, while on paper nice, is something you won't even look at.
No storage upgrade, still capped at 512GB.
Phone will throttle if used over time without aero cooler.
Camera the same.
Audio quality hasn't been improved noticably at all on headphones, for some reason people first now got the memo that the Rog Phones in general have a high quality built in dac.

Overall if you already have a Rog3, there is literally no compelling reason for you to purchase the Rog5, if you have an older Rog phone 1 then you can easily consider it, but upgrading from Rog3 is just silly, even Rog2 I'd still call it a stretch to call it an "upgrade". So please don't be swayed by random reviewers acting like it's some next evolutionary thing.
48 REPLIES 48

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Averan

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/157444#Comment_157444

But it's calibration is better than Rog 3 even the Mi above seems to be hiding black crush by boosting the brightness/colors you can check some areas for details like that guy's face and 2nd picture it looks washed out in MI

View post
wrong, it only seems like that to you because of the mi's brightness level. The picture is sharp and looking very good in real life but looks washed out and overbrightneded due to the camera not being able to handle the high brightness lightsource.
The pictures showcase clear black crush problem on the Rog5. Much like the Rog3 the Rog5 suffers from black crush due to crappy gamma level.
As @botboy444 already mentioned, the crushed black on the Rog5 are ridicolous. Honestly I didnt mind the black crush to much on the Rog3 as it's quite common on many phones these days, but going out and specifically mention that the Rog5 has no black crush and then releasing it with black crush is spitting to every customers face.

Aryan202
Community Legend I
Danishblunt

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/157445#Comment_157445

wrong, it only seems like that to you because of the mi's brightness level. The picture is sharp and looking very good in real life but looks washed out and overbrightneded due to the camera not being able to handle the high brightness lightsource.

The pictures showcase clear black crush problem on the Rog5. Much like the Rog3 the Rog5 suffers from black crush due to crappy gamma level.

As @botboy444 already mentioned, the crushed black on the Rog5 are ridicolous. Honestly I didnt mind the black crush to much on the Rog3 as it's quite common on many phones these days, but going out and specifically mention that the Rog5 has no black crush and then releasing it with black crush is spitting to every customers face.

View post
They didn't say no black crush though only "better calibration for issues like black crush"
I'd wait for some real life comaparisons tho,many are upgrading from R3 to R5 on the grp will ask them to compare/review side by side when they get their units
And we don't know what brightness and color profiles the guy who posted the above pics used or if it was an pre release model of some YouTube review

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
I'm closing this thread as it's in the wrong forum section and we have a new discussion thread for all things ROG Phone 5. Please use that one instead so we can keep this section about ROG Phone 3.
Gustav_ASUS

Hi Zentalk,

As more and more users get their hands on the brand-new ROG Phone 5, we want to keep the forum section dedicated to technical questions and issues. General discussion threads about the ROG Phone 5 will be removed from now on and you are kindly asked to use this thread if you want to talk about the ROG Phone 5 with other users. If you encounter a bug or technical issue with your device, please create a separate thread.

As always, keep it clean and be respectful to each other. The thread will be moderated accordingly and posts that break our community rules will be removed. If you spot any bad behavior in this thread, or any other thread on Zentalk, please notify me or another moderator on our staff.

GL HF! ❤️

https://rog.asus.com/event/ROG-Phone-5/

ROG Phone 5 Discussion Thread

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
As for the OP made by @Danishblunt, I'd like to make some quick comments as it includes some false or misleading information:
The panel is not the same as on ROG Phone 3. It uses a new Samsung AMOLED display (E4 panel) custom-made for the ROG Phone 5.
Considerable changes have been made to the speakers. Both speakers are now of identical size and the total speaker box size has grown by 35%. Diracs tuning has also improved.
Thermal performance has been improved compared to last generation, not the other way around. The new thermal design and MMT battery technology actually allows for lower temperatures during charging and discharging which is great during demanding tasks such as gaming. We've also improved our battery care features further.
The ROG Phone 5 brings back the 3.5 mm earphone jack and pairs it with a high-end ESS Sabre DAC, which is a series-first.