This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi! I want to buy the new ROG PHONE 5 but I'm worried about rog phone 3 issues like black crush!

Grand
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not:
Frequency of Occurrence:
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================

31 REPLIES 31

atmsriram6
Rising Star II
GREEKLEADER

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/45226/hi-i-want-to-buy-the-new-rog-phone-5-but-im-worried-abo...

If watching movies is your main reason don't get it

If gaming on a higher more competitive and elegant level without frame drops is your wish,then get it

And don't worry it's gonna be worth it,I have written some advices on the Rog 5 discussion page so you know what to do

View post
Even gaming there is a multi touch issue also frames drops is there in hot drops always in heavy manner almost going back to 30 fps it get normal after 2 mins , in the matter of time all done , I don't have this much on OnePlus 8 pro hardly loose 30 fps standard 60 would be there in hot drops aswell btw good advice

MrBlackCrush
Rising Star II
What I hope is that maybe Pixelworks by doing the display for Rog 5 did also the fix for the rog 3, coming on android 11, this is the last hope we have.
But if someone wanna buy Rog 5, wait some weeks/months and see what users say.
DO NOT watch youtube reviews because they are all paid to don't tell the truth.
Anyway for gaming rog 3 didn't give any problem to me, even if I expected more from the snapdragon 865... oneplus is a bit better but also reach higher temperatures in heavy games (ex. black desert mobile)
And I heard that also the snapdragon 888 is not doing miracles...

fongyuen
Star II
botboy444

Honestly you've got two choices,

Wait till the 5 comes out and see what/if any issues appear,

Or two,

Buy the 3 when the 5 comes out due to a drop in price knowing there's like, one "major" issue.

As Averan said, the Black crush REALLY isn't that bad unless you're watching things under 30% brightness, and all phones have the same issue, it's definitely improving with each ota update.

Make sure you buy an ORIGINAL rog phone 3 from somewhere with a reputation for selling *genuine* phones, or you'll get stuck with a Tencent model that's had the WW rom flashed which causes A LOT of issues

View post
I have to say that my Tencent ROG 3 works great (with Cn rom). Yes the black crush issue is there but doesn't affect me when playing games. I haven't had any issues with the phone otherwise. Must say that the Air Triggers are quite nice and it would be hard to go back to a phone without them in terms of playing games. Otherwise, there are definitely some better displays out there.

botboy444
Zen Master I
fongyuen

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/154717#Comment_154717

I have to say that my Tencent ROG 3 works great (with Cn rom). Yes the black crush issue is there but doesn't affect me when playing games. I haven't had any issues with the phone otherwise. Must say that the Air Triggers are quite nice and it would be hard to go back to a phone without them in terms of playing games. Otherwise, there are definitely some better displays out there.

View post
thank you for such an amazing answer, i wasn't throwing the tencent model under the bus at all, but the tencent rog with the WW rom seems to cause a hell of a lot of issues and is the culprit for most of the issues people are experiencing

of course the display is crappy compared to others resolution wise, but refresh rate wise its great

Thank you again for your level headed and amazing response

GREEKLEADER
Zen Master I
atmsriram6

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/154863#Comment_154863

Even gaming there is a multi touch issue also frames drops is there in hot drops always in heavy manner almost going back to 30 fps it get normal after 2 mins , in the matter of time all done , I don't have this much on OnePlus 8 pro hardly loose 30 fps standard 60 would be there in hot drops aswell btw good advice

View post
Sorry to hear that you have frame drops,but I don't so thus my point