vratanji
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: I01WD
Firmware Version: WW-17.1810.2011.183
Rooted or not: Not rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: 100% reproducible
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Not applicable
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
As the title suggests, the phone crashes after sending or receiving calls.
After a phone call, the system will eventually reach a point of instability, freeze and 'bootloop'. The only way to recover from this state is by using the hard reset button combination (Vol down + Power).
This issue will occur on stock, unrooted firmware as well as custom ROMs such as Lineage OS. I've attempted to monitor this behaviour via adb logcat but unfortunately I've not been able to find anything conclusive. I was led to believe that faulty hardware might be the cause, though according to the discussion thread below, it appears to have cropped up with the initial Android 10 firmware release:
https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/12915/asus-6z-restarting-after-call-disconnection/p1
There doesn't appear to be any conclusion to this prior discussion. @Anders_ASUS , I was wondering how this went in the end. You mentioned potentially solving this issue with an upcoming firmware update at the time, but I'm still experiencing this on the latest Android 10 firmware from December.

Additional, potentially relevant information:
Network: 3 UK
SIM slot: 2
SD card: Yes

Apologies for reposting, I'm not sure if my prior discussion threads are visible but they keep getting deleted or auto moderated.

Kind regards,
Vik
6 REPLIES 6

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
vratanji

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: I01WD
  2. Firmware Version: WW-17.1810.2011.183
  3. Rooted or not: Not rooted
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: 100% reproducible
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Not applicable

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

As the title suggests, the phone crashes after sending or receiving calls.

After a phone call, the system will eventually reach a point of instability, freeze and 'bootloop'. The only way to recover from this state is by using the hard reset button combination (Vol down + Power).

This issue will occur on stock, unrooted firmware as well as custom ROMs such as Lineage OS. I've attempted to monitor this behaviour via adb logcat but unfortunately I've not been able to find anything conclusive. I was led to believe that faulty hardware might be the cause, though according to the discussion thread below, it appears to have cropped up with the initial Android 10 firmware release:

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/12915/asus-6z-restarting-after-call-disconnection/p1

There doesn't appear to be any conclusion to this prior discussion. @Anders_ASUS , I was wondering how this went in the end. You mentioned potentially solving this issue with an upcoming firmware update at the time, but I'm still experiencing this on the latest Android 10 firmware from December.

Additional, potentially relevant information:

Network: 3 UK

SIM slot: 2

SD card: Yes

Apologies for reposting, I'm not sure if my prior discussion threads are visible but they keep getting deleted or auto moderated.

Kind regards,

Vik

Zenfone 6 crashes and bootloops after phone calls
The issue you referred to, which only happened in a certain area in India was solved with a FW. In your case, I wouldn't be surprised if it's faulty hardware. Can you please try with more carriers. If another carrier fixes your issue, then looks like a bug but if it's still restarting, then it's your modem that causes a system crash.

vratanji
Star I
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/44532/zenfone-6-crashes-and-bootloops-after-phone-calls

The issue you referred to, which only happened in a certain area in India was solved with a FW. In your case, I wouldn't be surprised if it's faulty hardware. Can you please try with more carriers. If another carrier fixes your issue, then looks like a bug but if it's still restarting, then it's your modem that causes a system crash.

View post
Many thanks for the reply - I'll give that a go.
What would be my recourse in the event of a hardware issue?

shankar_nvsb
Star II
vratanji

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/152702#Comment_152702

Many thanks for the reply - I'll give that a go.

What would be my recourse in the event of a hardware issue?

View post
If it is a hardware issue you have to go to the service center.
The same happened to me, luckily my phone was still in warranty at that time and they replaced the faulty part for free of cost.

vratanji
Star I
I've tested an Orange SIM in both slots and I have the same issue.
@Anders_ASUS is this indicative of a hardware issue?