System: ZenBook Pro Duo
Battery or AC: Either
Model: UX581GV
Frequency of occurrence: Always
Reset OS: Yes
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:
After sending my laptop in for RMA service (which took a month) because the battery died after six months, the keyboard backlight does not work. I have tried EVERYTHING. I'm on the latest BIOS, I've reset BIOS defaults, reset Windows, tried different version of System Control Interface V2 and ScreenPad drivers. I took the case apart to confirm that the keyboard backlight ribbon cable is connected to the motherboard (it was). All other hotkeys work, and the F7 key works in a test program. There is no on-screen popup when I press (Fn+)F7 to adjust the backlight (I'm pretty sure there used to be). It seems like this has to be a software issue, but I've tried ALL possible drivers, and this definitely worked before the RMA. Can anyone confirm whether I should see an on-screen popup when trying to adjust the keyboard backlight? I do not want to send this in for repair again and be without the laptop for another month.
18 REPLIES 18

realstephenbair
Star III
Blake_ASUS

Hello Stephen,

You may apply for online RMA from below link.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/article/818

Or you may contact our local team for more detail arrangement

https://www.asus.com/us/support/callus

Thank you.

View post
What do you mean by "more detail arrangement?"

Mercurio32
Star II
Hi, I have the same problem! yesterday i received the notebook sent to asus for blue screen problems. They just formatted and left windows 10 1909 installed. I immediately had this problem with the backlight, the key works and all the other popups except this one too.
I will have to send the notebook back for assistance, a means of work paid a lot and I am very angry.

realstephenbair
Star III
Mercurio32

Hi, I have the same problem! yesterday i received the notebook sent to asus for blue screen problems. They just formatted and left windows 10 1909 installed. I immediately had this problem with the backlight, the key works and all the other popups except this one too.

I will have to send the notebook back for assistance, a means of work paid a lot and I am very angry.

View post
I am pretty sure it is a software issue. My best guess is that when I reset Windows before sending it in for RMA is when it stopped working. I took the back off and confirmed that the backlight ribbon cable is well-connected. There is a 4-pin connector labeled "KB BL" just above the battery. You have to take the battery out to check it, but that is easy to do. I have painstakingly installed every single driver from the support downloads page, and tried every version I could find of the "System Control Interface V2" and Intel chipset drivers. My only guess is that there must be some version of some driver that was originally installed from the factory, but it is not on the recovery partition or in the list of drivers on the website. I can't imagine there is any way that connection/cable is being damaged during the repair process -- it certainly doesn't look like it.
Someone said the backlight was supposed to work with in the BIOS settings. That would imply that a windows driver is not needed and the function is handled by the BIOS. It doesn't work for me in the BIOS. Can anyone post a picture/video of it working from within the BIOS? Anyone willing to try resetting their PC to see if it still works after that? I'm not sending mine in for another month-long RMA, just to get it back in who-knows-what condition, or to get a refurbished model back. I also sent my original box in with the RMA, and they didn't even send it back in the original box. Needless to say, I probably won't buy another ASUS product.

Mercurio32
Star II
realstephenbaird

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/151541#Comment_151541

I am pretty sure it is a software issue. My best guess is that when I reset Windows before sending it in for RMA is when it stopped working. I took the back off and confirmed that the backlight ribbon cable is well-connected. There is a 4-pin connector labeled "KB BL" just above the battery. You have to take the battery out to check it, but that is easy to do. I have painstakingly installed every single driver from the support downloads page, and tried every version I could find of the "System Control Interface V2" and Intel chipset drivers. My only guess is that there must be some version of some driver that was originally installed from the factory, but it is not on the recovery partition or in the list of drivers on the website. I can't imagine there is any way that connection/cable is being damaged during the repair process -- it certainly doesn't look like it.

Someone said the backlight was supposed to work with in the BIOS settings. That would imply that a windows driver is not needed and the function is handled by the BIOS. It doesn't work for me in the BIOS. Can anyone post a picture/video of it working from within the BIOS? Anyone willing to try resetting their PC to see if it still works after that? I'm not sending mine in for another month-long RMA, just to get it back in who-knows-what condition, or to get a refurbished model back. I also sent my original box in with the RMA, and they didn't even send it back in the original box. Needless to say, I probably won't buy another ASUS product.

View post
What version of windows do you have installed, 20h2?
they delivered it to me with the 1909. Now it's crazy that a notebook like this is left behind. I have an asus from 10 years ago that I upgraded to windows 10 20h2 and it doesn't give any problems.
Please let me know if you find a backlight solution. It seems to me that whoever responds from Asus support does not have access to an archive regarding this notebook, and therefore cannot even give you assistance on known problems. They prefer to send everything to assistance and leave you without a computer for a month.