This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG phone 3 display is capped to 60hz ,when hdmi cable/capture card is connected.

akshaycygnus
Star II
36414e94-235b-4d3a-a486-4ea5519655db.jpg
b06c54bc-6f8f-4dc5-87fa-6fbfb85d9729.jpg
45ed9581-04cd-4f9e-b630-00869f481b9d.jpg

MODEL NAME : ROG PHONE 3 (12GB)
FIRMWARE VERSION: QKQ1.200419.002.WW_Phone-17.0823.2012.131
Not rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: EVERYTIME
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): All apps and UI
Every time when i connect the phone to a ELGATO capture card ( Not only with elgato but other users with high end capture cards too) , the screen refresh rate is being capped to 60hz by itself. (DO NOTE THAT YOU GUYS DON'T NEED TO EXPLAIN ME THE LIMITATION OF CAPTURE CARD ITSELF, BECAUSE HERE THE SCREEN REFRESH RATE IS BEING SET TO 60HZ). The phone display and the output through type-c is different, what is limiting the screen of the phone itself to 60hz? I can understand the fact that a capture card supporting 60hz capture can only capture at 60hz. Once again i am repeating that i am not asking about the capture card output, I AM ASKING ABOUT THE DISPLAY REFRESH RATE. Every other phone such as samsung, oneplus, ipad pro does not have this weird limitation. I can clearly say that this has nothing to do with hardware limitation but a software one. When you market a product saying it has MHL support and USB type c 3.1 output and doesn't deliver what you say ,at least acknowledge the issue and provide customers The response or fixes. THIS IS ONLY HAPPENING IN ASUS ROG PHONES , who ever got this phone thinking they can start a youtube streaming career is helpless now. YOU guys are making a joke out of your self calling this a premium beast phone , when you can't even fix the problem.
SIMILAR POSTS WERE ALREADY MADE BY OTHERS and you guys closed those thread shamelessly without proper response.
Swadesh

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: ROG Phone 3 (8GB)
  2. Firmware Version: QKQ1.200419.002.WW_Phone-17.0823.2008.70
  3. Rooted or not: Not rooted
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: Always
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): NA

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

As soon as you connect a capture card to the device through either of the type c port, the refresh rate of the device is capped to 60hz. Which is ridiculous if you want to play and capture your gameplay at the same time.

I want to play the game at 90hz, but capture it as 60fps as my capture card can record upto 1080p60. I have set the screen refresh rate to 90hz on game Armory. And 90fps is selected in game as well.

But when I connect the hdmi cable, the phone refresh rate is automatically locked at 60hz. No other device does that. The external output should not affect the phone's capability to refresh it's own display. Why is it happening?

I have iPad Pro and oneplus 7 pro. None of these devices cap the refresh rate of phone's display when external output is connected.

I bought this phone to capture my games while enjoying them at high refresh rate display. I didn't expect a mediocre limited hardware on this device.

ROG phone 3 is capped to 60hz refresh rate when hdmi cable/capture card is connected
im.joybarai

When I connect my Rog 3 with Elgato Capture through USB C to HDMI my rog 3 display automatically becomes 60hz and it's unchangeable. The display becomes 60hz and it looks blurry, bad quality graphics. I want to capture my pubg mobile gameplay but I want to play the pubg mobile on 90fps... Asus says that rog 3 is a dedicated gaming phone but why doesn't it behave like low end devices? 1080p High quality screen recorder records upto 14mins pubg mobile gameplay. Display becomes 60hz when I connect with capture card... Oneplus devices aren't dedicated gaming phone. But they don't do low end works... Then why a dedicated gaming phone do this? What's the solution of these stuffs?

ROG 3 60Hz display with Capture card

technicalsharad

I'm a streamer and i use elgato to capture my gameplay but my phone screen always get stuck on 60hz when i connect my phone through a type c to hdmi connecter to elgato

It says (refresh rate set to 60hz)

But why i want to play games on high refresh rate like 90hz or 120hz

Any solution ??

Rog 2 with hdmi out cabbed on 60hz (elgato)
these are some of the threads which were already posted. and yet you guys weren't able to give a solution nor a proper reasonable response.
Give us answer or fixes , we aren't fools to spend this much money on a phone. This would be my last phone from asus itself , I am not gonna buy nor recommend anyone who plans to buy this for streaming.
I will wait for an answer , after that i will make sure I make a video specifically explaining why no one should buy a ROG phone for streaming or youtube purposes AND POST IT IN YOUTUBE. So that no one else wastes money on this useless hardware.

9 REPLIES 9

akshaycygnus
Star II
Will anyone reply or you guys waiting for this thread to be closed automatically due to inactivity??

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
@akshaycygnus I've explained how the display refresh rate behaves when connecting to an external capture card above.
@Craven The screen recorder is capped to 120 Hz for performance reasons. The display refresh rate should automatically revert back to 144 Hz afterwards.

akshaycygnus
Star II
@Gustav_ASUS looks like you don't even read what i said or you don't understand what I am saying anyways, thanks for your explanation, So what you say is ASUS ROG PHONE 3 IS INCAPABLE OF PLAYING MORE THAN 60HZ SETTINGS , no matter what capture card we use. When many other competitor "NON Gaming Phones" can do. So i should better make people aware of this incompetent hardware limitation the phone has. And possibly making it the worst option for streamers in general. For the money i wasted the least i could do is make sure this information reaches to public and i will.

Craven
Rising Star II
The display refresh rate should automatically revert back to 144 Hz afterwards.
Wow. Thank you for stating the obvious, Einstein. And in terms of performance issues, this phone should have NONE! We have bypass charging so we can use X-mode anytime for any duration. Is this supposed to be an excuse? This has been forwarded by Anders since September but i don't even think it actually was. Thanks for being such incompetent mods.

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
akshaycygnus

@Gustav_ASUS looks like you don't even read what i said or you don't understand what I am saying anyways, thanks for your explanation, So what you say is ASUS ROG PHONE 3 IS INCAPABLE OF PLAYING MORE THAN 60HZ SETTINGS , no matter what capture card we use. When many other competitor "NON Gaming Phones" can do. So i should better make people aware of this incompetent hardware limitation the phone has. And possibly making it the worst option for streamers in general. For the money i wasted the least i could do is make sure this information reaches to public and i will.

View post
If the throughput of your capture card is 90 or 120 Hz, your phone's display should match that value.
Edit: We tested on Sony Xperia 5 II and Oneplus 8 Pro, and they both exhibit the same behavior when connecting to an external monitor running at 60 Hz.
@Craven No need for name-calling, I was just answering your question. Your feedback has been noted.