wilsonbmwau
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 5Z
Firmware Version: NONE listed under "firmware"
Rooted or not:
Frequency of Occurrence: Now always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I have had this phone for 16 months and use it everyday for occasional calls and messaging and as a Hotspot for my laptop (1 device only), I don't play games or watch streaming on it.
It has been a great phone, apart from the very fragile screen (the first screen that I have ever cracked AND a few times, this with no harsh handling and yes it does have a shock cover and screen protector!)
The OVERHEATING problem has only started ~2 weeks ago, which was first noticed due to the phone hotspot disconnecting the wifi and on handling the phone I noticed that it was much warmer than any prior time/normally, and since then when charging the phone it gets quite warm to hot resulting now in often shutting down.
Is this a battery or charging FAULT or something else? Can this be easily fixed?
Thank you for your help and advice.
4 REPLIES 4

Christine_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi wilsonbmwau
Thank you for your asking. Kindly try some stay-at-home troubleshooting tips below:
1. Please try to enter "Safe Mode". If the function works well in Safe Mode yet the issue remains out of Safe Mode, please check on any disturbance from the installed 3rd party apps.
# How to enter and exit "Safe Mode"
[Phone] How to Enter and Exit Safe Mode? | Official Support | ASUS Global
2. Are you used to use the Hotspot while charging the device? Please avoid to used the device during charging, which will accelerate the battery lifecycle.
3. Furthermore, if the situation remains the same, according to what you described, please contact ASUS repair center in the country of your residence for further battery checking: https://www.asus.com/support/Service-Center-All-Countries/
If it is impossible to access the service center during Covid-19 period, please try Call us: https://www.asus.com/support/CallUs

For more information, please refer to the links below
[Phone/Pad] Tips for battery charging and storage | Official Support | ASUS Global[ZenFone/Pad] Power saving skills | Official Support | ASUS Global

wilsonbmwau
Star I
Hi Christine and thank you for your prompt reply and assistance.
I have now started my phone in SAFE mode and restarted it and I will restart it in SAFE mode to check how the next charge goes when the battery is lower to see whether this makes any difference to the overheating situation whilst charging.
Your good point is understood re. to not charge whilst hotspot-ting, which yes I have been doing at times previously.
I do not really know how to "check on any disturbance from the installed 3rd party apps", do you have any suggestions with this? I do not have many extra app's installed and I have deleted all of the cache in all app's.
Thank you for the contact links and all the best,
Bruce.

sidarya31
Rising Star II
Yup 5z heats up alot when using it as hotspot device, while 3yrs older phone didn't.

Christine_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi Bruce wilsonbmwau
Kindly check my reply for "check on any disturbance from the installed 3rd party apps" as below
1. The app info of my device in the latest Android version notes "48 apps installed".
If you do not have any 3rd party app, you can check if your app info note "48 apps installed".
Settings>Apps & notifications>App info
2. If you want to un-install all of your 3rd party app yet you can not find it, you can try to perform the Factory Reset.
Settings>System>Reset options>Erase all data(factory reset)
Please note that once the Factory Reset is completed, all data, apps, settings and personal information will be deleted. You may back up your device to Google Drive first.
Settings>System>Backup