This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual band wifi and battery life or death

Roystoys
Zen Master III
I just discovered that my new ZenFone 7 has dual band wifi capabilities and I am really impressed in the speed difference but , does it drain the battery faster? And does it affect the life of the battery.? I have come back to zenfones after a brief dalliance with the pixel 5 which has an incredible battery life but that's about all it has going for it,I am just glad that I came to my senses before the phone devaluated to much ( I lost$200 au) but I am glad I sold it . I hate charging phones thus the question?????? I would love to hear your thoughts
2 REPLIES 2

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
Roystoys

I just discovered that my new ZenFone 7 has dual band wifi capabilities and I am really impressed in the speed difference but , does it drain the battery faster? And does it affect the life of the battery.? I have come back to zenfones after a brief dalliance with the pixel 5 which has an incredible battery life but that's about all it has going for it,I am just glad that I came to my senses before the phone devaluated to much ( I lost$200 au) but I am glad I sold it . I hate charging phones thus the question?????? I would love to hear your thoughts

Dual band wifi and battery life or death
I don't have any numbers but battery consumption should be somewhat bigger with dual band active. How much depends on the amount of traffic passing through but I don't believe you're going to notice any major difference in overall battery usage.

Roystoys
Zen Master III
Thanks for your response Anders.
I have been experimenting and I do agree that it does use more power but it is really not enough to worry about especially when you compare the speed difference.
I must say that I don't really use my phone much as a search engine once I get home from work but I have been during this tiny experiment and I think that, for me, it's just great. It loads and changes pages so much faster it's really quite cool.
You really notice the difference when you have a dozen or so app updates,it just cuts through them so fast it's great.
RGDS Roy