Reddish tint while playing a video on YouTube and Black crush issue

kamal_ms45
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:Asus ROG3
Firmware Version: 2012.122
Rooted or not: no
Frequency of Occurrence: always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): YouTube app version: 15.50.35
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Bought the phone yesterday.
I have disabled the HW overlay setting in developer options and it helped with the reddish tint, but the Black crush still exists.
For the Black crush I downloaded an app called screen balance and changed the settings and the Black crush issue reduced but its still there.

13 REPLIES 13

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
ajinkya017

Since this is a fresh thread i want to share a problem which is believe is hardware related. As shown in the picture black crush is more one side than the other. Can i refer it to a service center and get my display replaced under warranty?

@ARP_ASUS

img-20210107-120046154.jpg

View post
I did it and they replaced it, as long it follows the rotation then its a hardware defect. If you turn the device and the black crush still on the same corner then its simply the software settings.

ajinkya017
Rising Star II
@nightmaster552 yes I did see your video from where I thought I should also check my phone's display for the same. It isn't as extreme as was visible on your phone but it is more like a lot of grain on the top left corner so yes will take it to service center.
@nodweb13@gmail.com yes it remains in the same position regardless of the orientation of the video.

Update: visited the service center. They were convinced and agreed to replace the display.

kamal_ms45
Star II
ARP_ASUS

Hi kamal4554,

For Blackcrush with every update we are optimizing the overall experience.

View post
Thank you for the update. Glad to hear that you are trying to fix it. Would be good if the response was a little faster.
Hope you find the fix soon and roll out the update.

P.S : I gotta say that except for the Black crush the rest of the experience is really good, even the heat management and the battery is superb. Really impressed.

kamal_ms45
Star II
nightmaster552

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/42308/reddish-tint-while-playing-a-video-on-youtube-and-black...

Black crush is more of a global issue at this point. Many new phones seem to suffer from it, altho the Rog3 has a more extreme case of it. The gammacurve is messed up and this is mainly caused by the fact that phones are getting brighter. The reason why black crush is worse on the Rog3 compared to other phones is mainly due to pixelworks poop.

View post
Yes, I have read some threads on reditt that it's a caliberation issue which was done by pixelworks. If that's true, hope the Asus team can coordinate with them and fix it.

akhilj66
Rising Star II
ARP_ASUS

Hi kamal4554,

For Blackcrush with every update we are optimizing the overall experience.

View post
No you're not, I have rog 2 with around 4 updates from the date I bought, you guys haven't worked on this issue for a single second. I cannot see how your are optimising the overall experience.