Star I
System: Windows 10 Home
Battery or AC: Both
Model: ASUS TUF F15 FX506LI
Frequency of occurrence: Roughly every 1 to 10 minutes
Reset OS: Yes
Screenshot or video:
========================
Drivers/Windows are up to date, BIOS is version 306 (the newest one according to MyASUS and ASUS website)
Hi there, so I got this laptop few weeks ago right before Christmas, out of the box I've noticed an issue with the touchpad. Every now and then, it starts acting up and freezes, stutters, lags, and is generally very unresponsive, sometimes the cursor will move very fast too but not very often. This issue happens somewhat randomly, maybe on average 15 to 20 times an hour. Could be way more or less though. It can last anywhere from 2 seconds to a minute. A key detail I've noticed, when the touchpad acts up, if I press a key, it seems to go away pretty consistently. I've been pressing the right alt key, but I think most keys seem to work. I'd say this temporarily fixes it 98 times out of 100.
I've read probably a hundred cases of ASUS touchpad problems online in the past few weeks, and I've tried all kinds of fixes that sometimes work for people, from changing the touchpad driver to the basic HID compliant touchpad driver, to messing with graphics card settings, mouse/touchpad settings, disabling services, changing power management settings etc. Nothing makes a difference it seems. I've reset Windows twice plus a factory reset as well. No difference.
I'm gonna be honest, I'm not entirely convinced this is a hardware issue. The fact that so many people I've read online have this exact same problem, many of which have sent their laptops to ASUS service centers only to get it back with the issue unresolved, plus the fact that I can reliably fix it just by pressing a key makes me think maybe there's some software/firmware/BIOS issue common to many different models. Or maybe there's some design flaw or something internally.
Either way, I think there something going on with alot of ASUS laptop touchpads, and for someone like me who only uses the touchpad and no mouse, it's just too frustrating to deal with. I'm still deciding if I want to return the laptop or not, but I'd appreciate if someone from ASUS could look into this issue more. I think it's just way too common of a problem to be written off as just an isolated case of faulty hardware.
8 REPLIES 8

ZT-5822fe65
Star I
I have the exact same problem with my brand new A17 (TUF706IU-AS76). This is obviously a common problem; can someone please comment?

I'm having the exact same issue

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Dear all,
May I have a video of the issue if possible?
from when there is the lagging issue, then you press the key to solve it.
Thank you.

PerJ
Star I
I suppose you meant "the key", but what key would that be? The trackpad button? That doesn't seem to help.
Or did you really mean a plot of grass? 🙂
The lag is frequent and I avoid using the trackpad because of it, which is unfortunate because my external mouse is only really there for when I want to play games. Pretty sure it doesn't happen when I switch to Ubuntu.
I have a TF506LI.