This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Findings on the gradient "Black crush" issue

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Since my inbox on several sites are starting to blow up I thought I might as well make this topic and just link it to those who keep asking.
So far I gave up on the idea to change anything on pixelworks stuff, I haven't looked at the .122 update yet but I doubt they have touched it anyways, that being said 2 days ago I made a proof of concept playing the video "Batman 2021 trailer" at 50% and 100% brightness without any pixelation while stock almost the entire trailer would look like super mario bros from the 80s, pixels everywhere. I have also found several API's that can make a software solution possible to completely get rid of the black crush people are experiencing, however there are 2 major drawbacks:
The application WILL require root, meaning warranty will be void and such, probably won't be an issue for those who purchased a modphone or tencent version as they don't have warranty anyways
The application will likely have some sort of performance hit
As the application just started in development don't expect anything soon at all, While I do programming on other languages I'm not terribly familair kotlin/Java and android yet and there is no point making a shoddy application that will drain battery like mad, that combined with the fact that I do this on a completely "when i feel" schedule and have limited time due to other projects this will take quite a while if ASUS doesn't beat me to it or I drop it due to whatever reasons. And before you ask, yes if the application is finished it will also work on other phones with black crush issues such as OnePlus 8 Pro, Samsung Series etc.
Now you can stop asking me what I found and what I'm doing.
2 REPLIES 2

GREEKLEADER
Zen Master I
nightmaster552

Since my inbox on several sites are starting to blow up I thought I might as well make this topic and just link it to those who keep asking.

So far I gave up on the idea to change anything on pixelworks stuff, I haven't looked at the .122 update yet but I doubt they have touched it anyways, that being said 2 days ago I made a proof of concept playing the video "Batman 2021 trailer" at 50% and 100% brightness without any pixelation while stock almost the entire trailer would look like super mario bros from the 80s, pixels everywhere. I have also found several API's that can make a software solution possible to completely get rid of the black crush people are experiencing, however there are 2 major drawbacks:

• The application WILL require root, meaning warranty will be void and such, probably won't be an issue for those who purchased a modphone or tencent version as they don't have warranty anyways
  • The application will likely have some sort of performance hit

As the application just started in development don't expect anything soon at all, While I do programming on other languages I'm not terribly familair kotlin/Java and android yet and there is no point making a shoddy application that will drain battery like mad, that combined with the fact that I do this on a completely "when i feel" schedule and have limited time due to other projects this will take quite a while if ASUS doesn't beat me to it or I drop it due to whatever reasons. And before you ask, yes if the application is finished it will also work on other phones with black crush issues such as OnePlus 8 Pro, Samsung Series etc.

Now you can stop asking me what I found and what I'm doing.

Findings on the gradient "Black crush" issue
I remember there was a kernel that improved performance in gaming,any news on that? I would give it a try

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
GREEKLEADER

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/42404/findings-on-the-gradient-black-crush-issue

I remember there was a kernel that improved performance in gaming,any news on that? I would give it a try

View post
It doesnt really improve anything noticable. It does update lots of things in terms of being updated and slight tweaks, much like windows offers updates you wont notice any major differences there either. If youre not rooted i wouldnt root just because of wanting to update the kernel, it should merely be a bonus.