This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

to set up after factory reset, phone asks for but does not accept valid password

ncj111
Star I
Model ASUS Zenfone 3 Max (ZC520TL)
Firmware US-15.14.1810.14
Rooted No
Steps to replicate:
Boot to recovery. Select "Wipe & factory reset."
Allow phone to reboot and begin new set-up process.
Dialog opens stating phone was factory reset, and to continue please input old password.
Input either correct screen PIN from before factory reset, or valid password from Google account last associated with the phone.
Expected behavior: Set-up dialog accepts one of these, continues set-up process
Observed behavior: Set-up dialog reports invalid password, prompt repeats. After repeated attempts imposes a wait of 30 second between subsequent attempts.
Please advise how to either succesfully complete factory reset, OR unlock boot loader for this device. I am unable to find an Unlock Tool for this device on its support website.

3 REPLIES 3

Christine_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi ncj111
Please try the following steps to access recovery mode to complete the Factory Reset:
0. Try to back up your data with USB cable. If you can not access the phone, please check if your google account or microSD card have auto backup your data. 
1. Power off the phone, then keep pressing "volume down key"
2. Press "power key" and stop press " power key" once you feel the vibration. Still keep pressing "volume down key".
3. Stop press "volume down key" once you enter [Android Recovery] Screen
4. Choose "Wipe data/factory reset">"Yes"
5. "Reboot system now"
#Hardware Reset Guide
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1006346/
Please note that once the steps are completed, all data, apps, settings and personal information will be deleted.

ncj111
Star I
Thanks for these instructions, but unfortunately when I boot into Android Recovery screen, the menu is in Chinese! Can you walk me through what I would need to do in order to access this menu in English?

Christine_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hi ncj11
Can you provide me your screenshot?