This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart sells the Tencent Version, is it Legit?

Kofina
Star I
Why is it so hard to find the global version of this phone?
Every place I go, I see Tencent, I get that it's cheaper, but I can't justify the restrictions of it, nor can I justify flashing the phone to the global rom.

8 REPLIES 8

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
Kofina

Why is it so hard to find the global version of this phone?

Every place I go, I see Tencent, I get that it's cheaper, but I can't justify the restrictions of it, nor can I justify flashing the phone to the global rom.

Walmart sells the Tencent Version, is it Legit?
It's not sold by walmart. It's sold by via walmart just like small stores can sell via amazon.
It says "Sold & shipped by New Generation Products LLC" which looks like a US company so I guess US laws will apply. My best advice is to contact the store and ask them whatever you want to know before you purchase.
Also remember to ask if they have the Chinese OS or if it has been unlocked and flashed to WW rom (with everything that follows).

Kofina
Star I
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/40855/walmart-sells-the-tencent-version-is-it-legit

It's not sold by walmart. It's sold by via walmart just like small stores can sell via amazon.

It says "Sold & shipped by New Generation Products LLC" which looks like a US company so I guess US laws will apply. My best advice is to contact the store and ask them whatever you want to know before you purchase.

Also remember to ask if they have the Chinese OS or if it has been unlocked and flashed to WW rom (with everything that follows).

View post
But, I thought you guys recommended that people DIDN'T get the Chinese version with global rom flashed because you guys wouldn't support it, nor uphold the warranty.

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III

Kofina

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/137549#Comment_137549

But, I thought you guys recommended that people DIDN'T get the Chinese version with global rom flashed because you guys wouldn't support it, nor uphold the warranty.

View post
We don't recommend buying a Tencent-branded device flashed with global ROM, since it's not a configuration we support or a SKU we're selling.
I believe Anders is just telling you to check with your reseller if you are unsure about the origins of the device, not that we've changed our recommendations.

Kofina
Star I
I looked further into it, and yes, it's the Chinese version of the phone, not only do they use pictures of the global version of the phone, but they resell the phone as such, and going as far as putting the description of the global specs on it.
My question is, why doesn't Asus do anything about it?