cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with phone after full battery discharge

Chris_L
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 3 (ZS661KS or ASUS_I003D)
Firmware Version: 17.0823.2009.99
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: 1
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Yesterday I had a very long day and was away from a charger for a very long time. The battery eventually died right before I was able to plug the device in, but it didn't boot up quickly after I finally did. I plugged it in literally 60 seconds after the battery died and all that happened for about 30 minutes was a blinking light. The indicator light at the top blinked red non-stop for 30 minutes until the screen finally turned on and showed a 0% charge. During this period of time that I was waiting, the charging brick was cold enough that I don't believe it was charging the device normally. The device is working normally now, but this makes me worry about the device. I love my ROG Phone and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, but it is important to me that a problem like this is addressed before I would be willing to buy the next ROG Phone that comes out.
Why does this happen? Is there a fix for this? The research I have done shows that this happened in both the ROG 2 and 3 and it has basically always gotten very little attention and no answers. I will of course avoid draining the battery all the way, but I don't want to worry about bricking my very expensive phone because I let the battery die.
Any answers would be fantastic, I just want to know what can be done. If possible, I would also love to know if this is going to be considered when developing the next ROG Phone because this is a big issue. Some people weren't able to use their device ever again after this happened, I just don't want that to happen to me.
Thank you!
10 REPLIES 10

GREEKLEADER
Zen Master I
Chris L

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/137260#Comment_137260

I have also noticed how hot it gets when charging, significantly hotter than my OnePlus 8 that charges at the same 30w. I thought it was an issue but everyone says it's normal, but as long as I'm not in a rush I tend to leave it on slow charging so it doesn't get so hot. It also gets super hot on the back when I game which I thought was a problem, but the vapor chamber is letting the heat out where the vent is and when I compare how hot it gets to my other phone it's actually quite similar. The OnePlus phone vents heat through the screen though, and it literally burns my finger if I run COD maxed out lol.

I have also watched battery drain tests where people say the ROG Phone is the coolest on the outside, but they're measuring the temp of the screen with an infrared thermometer and most phones try to vent a lot of heat through the screen while this phone uses the back. I hope that this doesn't happen again, I may just turn it off myself if it goes below 10% and I am not near a charger.

Other than the issue I had last night, using this phone has been a joy. It breezes through everything I throw at it and the battery usually performs amazingly. I hope they continue to make a new one every year, I also hope they release it in my country faster lol it took two months and I was so impatient. I ordered it as soon as I saw it was available.

Thanks for replying!

View post
Well glad to see a fan,well if that will ease your worry,I use it from 80% to 20-40 aka until I get home,and I keep it on slow charging
The warmth I feel is quite soft especially with the case at 36 celsius and YouTube
You could say I need to recharge it a lot more times but it's worth for its capacity aka health and since it's a regular schedule,even if interrupted,the phone has a straight green line so I think I'm fine for atleast the time the Rog 4 comes out
Also I use 160 hertz and compared to what I heard,the battery does really well,and it doesn't even heat up,granted I have the fan 24/7 and on lol,I need the freedom to overclock the chip whenever and wherever I please
Just you wait,Asus won't miss the opportunity to release a new phone,there are rumours about a Qualcomm x ROG phone aside from the ROG 4
The market is growing,and Asus will take the opportunity so be patient and you'll see
Another advice I can give you is don't charge it over 80 for the heat,and don't let it go below 30-20 for again the heat of the battery
And try not to charge it to 100 or let it go to 0 because it loses a life cycle and loses a tiny bit of capacity for every time it happens
Just that for now,if you need more info ask me

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Tencent version?

I faced this issue once... I plugged it immediately when it shut down ...
When connected to the charger... It was completely dead ... Only the red LED light was blinking continuously... But it started to charge after 5 mins....

PH
Rising Star I
Chris L

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: ROG Phone 3 (ZS661KS or ASUS_I003D)
  2. Firmware Version: 17.0823.2009.99
  3. Rooted or not: No
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: 1
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

Yesterday I had a very long day and was away from a charger for a very long time. The battery eventually died right before I was able to plug the device in, but it didn't boot up quickly after I finally did. I plugged it in literally 60 seconds after the battery died and all that happened for about 30 minutes was a blinking light. The indicator light at the top blinked red non-stop for 30 minutes until the screen finally turned on and showed a 0% charge. During this period of time that I was waiting, the charging brick was cold enough that I don't believe it was charging the device normally. The device is working normally now, but this makes me worry about the device. I love my ROG Phone and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, but it is important to me that a problem like this is addressed before I would be willing to buy the next ROG Phone that comes out.

Why does this happen? Is there a fix for this? The research I have done shows that this happened in both the ROG 2 and 3 and it has basically always gotten very little attention and no answers. I will of course avoid draining the battery all the way, but I don't want to worry about bricking my very expensive phone because I let the battery die.

Any answers would be fantastic, I just want to know what can be done. If possible, I would also love to know if this is going to be considered when developing the next ROG Phone because this is a big issue. Some people weren't able to use their device ever again after this happened, I just don't want that to happen to me.

Thank you!

Problems with phone after full battery discharge
Luckily for me this never occured even though I have drained my battery to 0 percent a ton times. Maybe a hardware issue and you may want to take it to the service center for a quick check. General thumb rule for a battery is to keep it between 20 to 80 percent all the time. Even though for me the slow and scheduled charging option doesn't work and hopefully would be fixed through FOTA

Gustav_ASUS
Community Legend III
@Chris L Just to add to what the others have said: If you're worried about the health of your device, you can always contact service and let them know about your concerns.
Since this only happened once without any apparent or lingering issues, I wouldn't worry too much. Having said that, mention me in this thread if you run into any similar issues in the future!