cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with phone after full battery discharge

Chris_L
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 3 (ZS661KS or ASUS_I003D)
Firmware Version: 17.0823.2009.99
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: 1
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Yesterday I had a very long day and was away from a charger for a very long time. The battery eventually died right before I was able to plug the device in, but it didn't boot up quickly after I finally did. I plugged it in literally 60 seconds after the battery died and all that happened for about 30 minutes was a blinking light. The indicator light at the top blinked red non-stop for 30 minutes until the screen finally turned on and showed a 0% charge. During this period of time that I was waiting, the charging brick was cold enough that I don't believe it was charging the device normally. The device is working normally now, but this makes me worry about the device. I love my ROG Phone and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, but it is important to me that a problem like this is addressed before I would be willing to buy the next ROG Phone that comes out.
Why does this happen? Is there a fix for this? The research I have done shows that this happened in both the ROG 2 and 3 and it has basically always gotten very little attention and no answers. I will of course avoid draining the battery all the way, but I don't want to worry about bricking my very expensive phone because I let the battery die.
Any answers would be fantastic, I just want to know what can be done. If possible, I would also love to know if this is going to be considered when developing the next ROG Phone because this is a big issue. Some people weren't able to use their device ever again after this happened, I just don't want that to happen to me.
Thank you!
10 REPLIES 10

GREEKLEADER
Zen Master I
Chris L

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: ROG Phone 3 (ZS661KS or ASUS_I003D)
  2. Firmware Version: 17.0823.2009.99
  3. Rooted or not: No
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: 1
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

Yesterday I had a very long day and was away from a charger for a very long time. The battery eventually died right before I was able to plug the device in, but it didn't boot up quickly after I finally did. I plugged it in literally 60 seconds after the battery died and all that happened for about 30 minutes was a blinking light. The indicator light at the top blinked red non-stop for 30 minutes until the screen finally turned on and showed a 0% charge. During this period of time that I was waiting, the charging brick was cold enough that I don't believe it was charging the device normally. The device is working normally now, but this makes me worry about the device. I love my ROG Phone and I'd buy it again in a heartbeat, but it is important to me that a problem like this is addressed before I would be willing to buy the next ROG Phone that comes out.

Why does this happen? Is there a fix for this? The research I have done shows that this happened in both the ROG 2 and 3 and it has basically always gotten very little attention and no answers. I will of course avoid draining the battery all the way, but I don't want to worry about bricking my very expensive phone because I let the battery die.

Any answers would be fantastic, I just want to know what can be done. If possible, I would also love to know if this is going to be considered when developing the next ROG Phone because this is a big issue. Some people weren't able to use their device ever again after this happened, I just don't want that to happen to me.

Thank you!

Problems with phone after full battery discharge
Finally a genuine post,well I haven't encountered that problem so I can't say much
But something that works for me is keeping the battery above 20% at all times even when charging,and maxing it out at 80%
Also if this is a battery problem you can check from the battery care software inside the settings
Or you can do a drain test till 10%,you could give logs of your device to the Devs if you want
And also,the reason on why it's unnoticed it's because this issue seems to be either rare or hardware based
If it happens again contact service on the store or repair shop so they can have a look
Other than that you just have to be patient

Craven
Rising Star II
Must be a hardware problem, idk. I believe some units aren't up to standards considering the phone was manufactured in pandemic times so build quality might not be the same as everyone else's. Also, i have completely drained my battery more than 5x in the last 3 months already for recalibration purposes and i have no problems charging it back to 100% aside from the ridiculous amount of heat it gives off which people say is normal.

Chris_L
Star I
GREEKLEADER

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/41157/problems-with-phone-after-full-battery-discharge

Finally a genuine post,well I haven't encountered that problem so I can't say much

But something that works for me is keeping the battery above 20% at all times even when charging,and maxing it out at 80%

Also if this is a battery problem you can check from the battery care software inside the settings

Or you can do a drain test till 10%,you could give logs of your device to the Devs if you want

And also,the reason on why it's unnoticed it's because this issue seems to be either rare or hardware based

If it happens again contact service on the store or repair shop so they can have a look

Other than that you just have to be patient

View post
Yeah, I try to keep the battery within those ranges too. I do let it go to 100% but I use the scheduled charging so it isn't there too long. It is rare I drain it below 40%, it is a lot easier to take care of these batteries because they're so big. Is there a way to collect logs other than the graphs put in the battery care app? I have only come up as "Good" all but one day where it said "Fair" because I overslept lol.
Unfortunately I don't think there will be any type of repair shop near me, I don't know if ASUS has anything like that in the US.
I figure I'll try to talk to support asap because it is concerning to me. Luckily for me I still have a OnePlus 8, but even though that is a solid device it feels like a big step down when I use it. I wonder if maybe the battery over-discharged somehow and that is why I had the problem. I am trying to let Antutu keep track of the battery because it has an estimate for the actual mAh of the cell, but I just realized it was being denied background battery usage so it hasn't kept any records. I'll see what it says in a day or so.
Thanks for the reply!

Chris_L
Star I
Craven

Must be a hardware problem, idk. I believe some units aren't up to standards considering the phone was manufactured in pandemic times so build quality might not be the same as everyone else's. Also, i have completely drained my battery more than 5x in the last 3 months already for recalibration purposes and i have no problems charging it back to 100% aside from the ridiculous amount of heat it gives off which people say is normal.

View post
I have also noticed how hot it gets when charging, significantly hotter than my OnePlus 8 that charges at the same 30w. I thought it was an issue but everyone says it's normal, but as long as I'm not in a rush I tend to leave it on slow charging so it doesn't get so hot. It also gets super hot on the back when I game which I thought was a problem, but the vapor chamber is letting the heat out where the vent is and when I compare how hot it gets to my other phone it's actually quite similar. The OnePlus phone vents heat through the screen though, and it literally burns my finger if I run COD maxed out lol.
I have also watched battery drain tests where people say the ROG Phone is the coolest on the outside, but they're measuring the temp of the screen with an infrared thermometer and most phones try to vent a lot of heat through the screen while this phone uses the back. I hope that this doesn't happen again, I may just turn it off myself if it goes below 10% and I am not near a charger.
Other than the issue I had last night, using this phone has been a joy. It breezes through everything I throw at it and the battery usually performs amazingly. I hope they continue to make a new one every year, I also hope they release it in my country faster lol it took two months and I was so impatient. I ordered it as soon as I saw it was available.
Thanks for replying!