System: Win 10 Pro
Battery or AC:
Model: Vivobook 14 D413IA
Frequency of occurrence: 100%
Reset OS:
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:
Since recently I cannot adjust the brightness of the built-in screen anymore. I'm not sure exactly what caused it, but it occurred short after I installed a USB docking station with the Displaylink chipset. Despite removing and uninstalling the docking station, the problem remains.
First the brightness was extremely low and the build-in screen was almost impossible to use. After changing the driver for the internal graphics card from the AMD Radeon to Microsoft Basic Display Adapter, the brightness went up to a usable level (perhaps to max), but I still can't adjust the brightness with F4/F5 keys as I could before.
Any ideas how to get brightness adjustment working again?
6 REPLIES 6

turboraketti
Star II
Thank you @Blake_ASUS and @RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS for helping!
I don't want to reset the computer now, as too much setup work is done. I really want to try all other options first.
Regarding the driver comment that Raju made, the brightness was perfectly adjustable after I installed Win 10 Pro (clean install). At some point of time it ceased to work and one thing I can think of that could be connected is the installation of Displaylink drivers for the docking station, but I'm not sure. I have downloaded the AMD Radeon drivers and installed them, but the issue persists. I also tried to do a screen calibration, as was suggested in some forum thread, but this gives me an error.
Any other suggestions are welcome!

turboraketti
Star II
It seems the problem is solved. After much experimenting with the drivers and settings for the graphics card, I looked into which driver was installed for the display. This is a bit embarrassing; I discovered that it was not the regular Microsoft Plug'n'Play monitor driver that was installed, but the Teamviewer ditto. I figured that this happened when I, after installing Teamviewer, decided to install the "Show black screen" option. I changed back to Microsoft's Plug'n'Play Monitor and the brightness controls came back! Both the one in the notifications area as well as the keyboard controls.
Just for the record, this seemed to have nothing to do with the docking station, as I first suspected.