cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To the devs about the black crush issues caused by banding

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Hello dear ASUS devs,
now I had the courage and time to root my phone and look into the issue and guys, I feel ya.
The implementation from pixelworks is utterly garbage and give you literally 0 control. I know you guys are trying to make some sort of overlay hotfix but it just won't cut it. I know you cannot just remove the pixelworks feature just like that, due to possible conflicts with upper management however what I think would help is an easy way for either devs / users with rooted phones to disable the service, maybe through some sort of config file, build.prop w/e. I've tried to get rid of it causing the boot process to freeze and tried to disable the service after boot which would cause a black screen so it's very deep in the system process. All I ask for is to give us the ability to disable it without having to do a stunt and let us then fix the screen ourselves with k-lapse or KCAL implementation in our kernels, as I can see your hands are absolutely tied due to pixelworks extremely locked and unflexible solution and it doesn't seem they have any intention of making a proper recalibration anytime soon.

13 REPLIES 13

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
MV

Good that someone is putting in some effort to demystify the display issue. 👍

It might be a patented or classified thing from pixelworks. And it might be beyond just a simple kernel fix or Asus would have figured it out already. I hope XDA guys who have got the handset are able to figure this out.

View post
I already looked at it with a kernel dev, no win situation. As long pixelworks software is controlling the display we cannot do anything about it. Even when implementing KCAL it cannot control the display. And changing the config is impossible as well because it's not your typical config file, it's a binary file (lol). Not to mentioned it seems signed, as I tried to edit it and would refuse to boot, hell even when nabbing the binary calibration file from the Rog2 it would not boot.
Pixelworks did truly some shady things
Aside from possibly excluding pixelworks from their system there isn't a single thing ASUS can do to actually adjust pixelworks software.

Jaganmohan
Rising Star I
nightmaster552

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/133345#Comment_133345

I already looked at it with a kernel dev, no win situation. As long pixelworks software is controlling the display we cannot do anything about it. Even when implementing KCAL it cannot control the display. And changing the config is impossible as well because it's not your typical config file, it's a binary file (lol). Not to mentioned it seems signed, as I tried to edit it and would refuse to boot, hell even when nabbing the binary calibration file from the Rog2 it would not boot.

Pixelworks did truly some shady things

Aside from possibly excluding pixelworks from their system there isn't a single thing ASUS can do to actually adjust pixelworks software.

View post
Really good work. Atleast some one in this forum is doing all these analysis. The same pixelworks collobrated with asus on previous generation ROG phones. Strange asus testing team missed to capture this big issue.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
sjaganmohanbe

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/133347#Comment_133347

Really good work. Atleast some one in this forum is doing all these analysis. The same pixelworks collobrated with asus on previous generation ROG phones. Strange asus testing team missed to capture this big issue.

View post
Not neccessarily the case. For all we know the protoype may have been perfect or ASUS simply didn't catch the black crush issue. Users didnt instantly notice either, users first noticed on dark scenes. Regardles of the reason, the calibration should have been fixed long time ago by pixelworks but obviously that never happened so far.

markovo
Rising Star I
And it never will, we just have to live with it. Should have been a 10/10 phone, but no...

veeharish2005
Zen Master I
nightmaster552

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/133382#Comment_133382

Not neccessarily the case. For all we know the protoype may have been perfect or ASUS simply didn't catch the black crush issue. Users didnt instantly notice either, users first noticed on dark scenes. Regardles of the reason, the calibration should have been fixed long time ago by pixelworks but obviously that never happened so far.

View post
So, because of pixel works doing a bad job of calibrating the display, asus is now getting a lot of hate from the users.
So unless pixel works recalibrate's the display or asus removes all of their stuff from the system, is there no other way asus can fix this issue?