System: Windows 10
Battery or AC:
Model: Vivobook X412FA
Frequency of occurrence: Daily
Reset OS:
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:
Basically, I have a new vivobook (not even a month out the box!) which I use only for work, i.e. webcam, word processor, internet.
I leave it in sleep mode over night. The fan keeps coming on at night at full power. It's loud enough to wake me up and won't stop until the computer is forced to shut.
I've even had this happen when it was awake too. I forced it to shut down and when I restarted a few minutes later, it continued happening. I had to let it rest for a while before I could start it without the fan coming on at full power.
This is not an issue of overheating. The fan comes on at night when the computer has been sleeping for hours.
Besides that, down one side of the screen, when viewed from an oblique angle, there are bright marks/lines. I have no idea what has caused them as I have used this laptop very little. They seem to be worsening.
Finally, from time to time, the touchpad fails to recognise input, such as when scrolling on a page. This happens fairly frequently.
Kind of disappointed tbh. All I wanted was a basic laptop for work and in less than one month of light use it has developed more issues than the pos dell I had for five years. 😕
5 REPLIES 5

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello alexanderforbes204,
Please kindly understand that when the device is on sleep mode, actually most of the function are not stopped,
they continue to run and there will be some heat.
Meantime, if the laptop lid is closed, the heat radiation would be worse and the fan would need to run harder.
May you double check if your device has similar situation as above or should be go in to hibernate mode but doesn't?
Thank you.

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
alexanderforbes204
  1. System: Windows 10
  2. Battery or AC:
  3. Model: Vivobook X412FA
  4. Frequency of occurrence: Daily
  5. Reset OS:
  6. Screenshot or video:

========================

Detailed description:

Basically, I have a new vivobook (not even a month out the box!) which I use only for work, i.e. webcam, word processor, internet.

I leave it in sleep mode over night. The fan keeps coming on at night at full power. It's loud enough to wake me up and won't stop until the computer is forced to shut.

I've even had this happen when it was awake too. I forced it to shut down and when I restarted a few minutes later, it continued happening. I had to let it rest for a while before I could start it without the fan coming on at full power.

This is not an issue of overheating. The fan comes on at night when the computer has been sleeping for hours.

Besides that, down one side of the screen, when viewed from an oblique angle, there are bright marks/lines. I have no idea what has caused them as I have used this laptop very little. They seem to be worsening.

Finally, from time to time, the touchpad fails to recognise input, such as when scrolling on a page. This happens fairly frequently.

Kind of disappointed tbh. All I wanted was a basic laptop for work and in less than one month of light use it has developed more issues than the pos dell I had for five years. 😕

Fan coming on in sleep mode and other issues with new laptop
try to reset the BIOS to default settings. or upgrade the new bios firmware if asus released .
i mainly suspecting setting in windows OS has modified or corrupted.
for testing purposes , use LIVE LINUX DVD using pendrive

Blake_ASUS

Hello alexanderforbes204,

Please kindly understand that when the device is on sleep mode, actually most of the function are not stopped,

they continue to run and there will be some heat.

Meantime, if the laptop lid is closed, the heat radiation would be worse and the fan would need to run harder.

May you double check if your device has similar situation as above or should be go in to hibernate mode but doesn't?

Thank you.

View post
Hi!

I checked the power and sleep settings and it is set to go to sleep when turned off. Usually the only program I leave open is Google chrome and maybe a word document so I would be surprised if too much system power is being used up.

The laptop doesn't feel too warm when it happens either, so I'm guessing it's some error somewhere.

RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/39879/fan-coming-on-in-sleep-mode-and-other-issues-with-new-l...

try to reset the BIOS to default settings. or upgrade the new bios firmware if asus released .

i mainly suspecting setting in windows OS has modified or corrupted.

for testing purposes , use LIVE LINUX DVD using pendrive

View post
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I have reset the BIOS so hopefully that will work. If not, maybe I will take it for repairs.