This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone Max M1- Display goes black and unresponsive when device gets hot.

srmonnet
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone Max M1
Firmware Version: Pie
Rooted or not: Yes
Frequency of Occurrence: Frequent

Issue started maybe 5 months ago. Display turns black when during a videocall while charging. Call is still going on, but the person says he cant see me. Nowadays, screen frequently goes black when using for longer than 10 minutes, maybe. I have to wait a couple of minutes, reboot the phone by longpressing power button. If I dont wait and reboot fast, then as soon as it boots up to homescreen, display will go black. I am running a custom rom (A10 with Pie firmware) without gapps. I cannot flash gapps or use stock rom, cuz then the screen goes black before i get to the google sign in screen.
Issue is not there if device is not being used.
Device doesnot do this while in custom or stock recovery, for however long or heavy i use it. I am really pissed, because i cant even watch a youtube video in fullscreen for 2 minutes before screen goes black.
What do you think this is? HW or SW issue?
3 REPLIES 3

usakiyem
Rising Star I
srmonnet

1. Model Name: Zenfone Max M1
  2. Firmware Version: Pie
  3. Rooted or not: Yes
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: Frequent

Issue started maybe 5 months ago. Display turns black when during a videocall while charging. Call is still going on, but the person says he cant see me. Nowadays, screen frequently goes black when using for longer than 10 minutes, maybe. I have to wait a couple of minutes, reboot the phone by longpressing power button. If I dont wait and reboot fast, then as soon as it boots up to homescreen, display will go black. I am running a custom rom (A10 with Pie firmware) without gapps. I cannot flash gapps or use stock rom, cuz then the screen goes black before i get to the google sign in screen.

Device doesnot do this while in custom or stock recovery, for however long or heavy i use it. I am really pissed, because i cant even watch a youtube video in fullscreen for 2 minutes before screen goes black.

Same problem device want updated
screenshot-20201110-200704.png

victor010
Zen Master III
Hi, we'd request you follow the below steps:
1. Clear system cache.
2. Try the same under safe mode:
Hold the power button for 5 seconds => When the screen flashes with option => Press & hold power option => You will get an option to restart in safe mode
3. If still you face the issue
factory reset your phone after taking a full backup : https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1006346/
4. Last option would be to visit
the service center to have a check. Locate here:
https://www.asus.com/in/support/Service-Center/India

srmonnet
Star I

srmonnet

1. Model Name: Zenfone Max M1
  2. Firmware Version: Pie
  3. Rooted or not: Yes
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: Frequent

BTW, I took out one of my simcard (used to use 2 sims together) and the device is not going black that frequently. Was able to do a complete and long videocall without any issue.