Star III
System:
Battery or AC:
Model: TUF Gaming FX505GT
Frequency of occurrence:
Reset OS:
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:Around October 17-19, my laptop(BIOS 308, the latest offered by MyASUS) performance suddenly decreased. For example, playing videos games my FPS would be 60 normally, but now it is 9-30. Overall, there are stuttering and lagging when playing video games. My internet is working fine. Streaming videos, doing multiple tasks, or downloading, there are noticeable lag. MyASUS(V2.2.44.0) checkup shows there may be an issue with the fan. I've went to Nvidia Control Panel and set it to High-Performance Nvidia Processor, Power Option and set to High Performance and still nothing. Using Turbo mode, the fans are somewhat quiet and CPU/GPU fan kicks up to 2800-2900 RPM. Normally, using Turbo mode, the laptop emits a very loud noise and CPU/GPU fan kicks well over 5000-5500 RMP. So something is wrong here. I've also installed ASUS System Control Interface V2( V2.2.30.0) and reinstall MyASUS and the problem still persist. I've also resetted my laptop twice and it fixed nothing. I've checked Task Manager and Armoury Crate(V3.1.6.0), CPU/GPU temperatures seems fine. I'm not tech savy and not sure what is going on. Could it be CPU/GPU fan? Or motherboard? If you need more information to help a guy out, please ask.
Edit: I also should mention when I do Full Scan on Window Virus Security, it usually take 15-20 minutes and utilization of CPU is 98-99%. Now, it takes slighty longer and utilization of CPU is around 33%. I don't know if that info will help. I've also never underclocked or overlocked my CPU because I don't know how to do that.
Edit 2: I've emailed ASUS about the issue. It will take 48 hours for them to get back. I will update as soon as ASUS respond.
Thank you
157 REPLIES 157

dathuynh555
Star III
jairon.tarnate

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/128215#Comment_128215

THANK YOU! IT WORKED!

I've had this performance problem too. This issue has thrown me off my schedule and consequently, ruined my life in the past days.

I bought this tuf fx505 in July and until last week, it was a delight to use. I use it extensively for work and studies and considering that I upgraded from a 2012 laptop, it was a massive performance jump for me. It's been pretty reliable and performant until last week's update. These are the frustrating changes and the result of that catastrophic update that ASUS recklessly pushed to our devices (damn ASUS, I went from thoroughly impressed to massively disappointed IN JUST 3 MONTHS! I will never buy an ASUS laptop again!).

ASUS ruined the fans. This is the most obvious changed I noticed. Fans erratically halt during workloads. It sometimes go completely silent during intensive usage, throttling the performance. I also noticed how the fans seems to run longer at max during startup than it was before. These are erratic behavior. However, ASUS didn't stop there for ruining the experience, walking it up from sleep is a definite way to experience having your $$$ machine's performance down to its knees. Resource monitor shows my maximum CPU frequency at only 32%. Thanks to ASUS! They certainly know stability because my max cpu frequency stabilizes around 32% after walking up, rendering my machine unusable. Well-played!

Once my pc starts throttling after cold reboot, it's fucked up. It throttles to around 32% even without any load. What's more amusing sometimes is that it remains to 100% max cpu fequency until I open an app (even a simple notepad) and then the stuttering begins. Phew!

I tried myasus for diagnosis. Ran all the diagnosis and it only mentioned a battery problem. Windows troubleshooter didn't help either.

I didn't know it was the BIOS update or the Asus services that's messing it up because there were other windows update that happened at that time and It updated automatically. Before trying this solution posted by monesseharvin (again, thank you!), I have already done the following that cause me time and ruined my life this week.

1. At first, I naturally assumed that windows update is the culprit because I've had issues like this before like some drivers suddenly malfunctioning. So I did system restore to revert the changes. It didn't worked because the only restore point I had was when window's about to update and it created a restore point and probably the BIOS was already updated that time.
  2. After doing system restore, the issue persisted. So I tried updating the drivers like the suggestion you'd often see. Installed driver pack. Once it rebooted, the issue is still there. The only change is now I have Opera browser installed (and some updated drivers.)
  3. System restored. Drivers updated. The issue is still there. At this point, I thought maybe I got an infected pc. So I had another solution attempt of installing several anti-virus programs and malware scanners and scanning my pc in hope that certain malware was causing the performance drop. Nothing was found. If there's anything, it gave me more headache because I had problem uninstalling some software.
  4. I'm becoming more frustrated each day because how sluggish and unreliable my working machine has become and that my attempts were in vain. I have a 15-hour work & study schedule and have deadlines to meet so returning my pc for warranty(like my intuitions says now) and/or allotting more time to make windows work properly would ruin my schedule further. So this time I just installed Linux and dual-booted. With Ubuntu, my computer is buttery smooth now! No more throttling problems! At last, my machine felt like how it should be again. However, there's a catch..
  5. I've used linux distros before as daily driver and they are fine but they all require some setting up to suit your particular need like if you're coming from Windows and some apps you use are windows-only. Luckily for my work, all the apps I need have linux versions. However, I have apps I use on my CCNP study that are windows only like bosons. I tried to setting it up on wine but it remained broken somehow. Also, installing Wine led to some dependencies problem. Now I have to deal with linux problem instead, heck. Although the absence of windows os solved my problems, it also meant that I won't have the windows only software to configure things such as keyboard light & battery charge threshold through Asus Apps. In short, I used ubuntu until I completed my work deadlines then went on to making windows work again.
  6. This time, I backed up my files then reset windows. I thought it was okay now but then when I opened Asus ROG and MyAsus, it suddenly stuttered. So I did the reset again but this time a cloud reinstall, without the Asus preinstalled crapwares. Finally, it worked! No more stuttering any sorts...until asus crapwares are reinstalled through windows update.
  7. At this point, I feel like I've finally pinned down the problem! The Asus products themselves! I checked the if there was Asus related updates and yeah, the rest of those led me to this discussion thread. It so unfortunate that I had to go through all of that to know that the cause of my misery was the updates that came from the laptop brand itself - Asus. Asus and its updates had been throttling my performance all along.

TL;DR

I didn't know at first that Asus updates broke my laptop so I have no idea and had to waste time trying other solutions. As a consolation, all of that arrived at this discussion thread and this workaround solution. And this worked! Thank you monesseharvin. You are a godsend.

Get your act together Asus!

Now please excuse me folks from all these venting out cause I have some schedules to repair now.

View post
If you haven't emailed or called ASUS Support to notify the problem, please do so. Currently, ASUS is not aware of the issues yet.

dathuynh555
Star III
jairon.tarnate

THANK YOU! IT WORKED!

I've had this performance problem too. This issue has thrown me off my schedule and consequently, ruined my life in the past days.

I bought this tuf fx505 in July and until last week, it was a delight to use. I use it extensively for work and studies and considering that I upgraded from a 2012 laptop, it was a massive performance jump for me. It's been pretty reliable and performant until last week's update. These are the frustrating changes and the result of that catastrophic update that ASUS recklessly pushed to our devices (damn ASUS, I went from thoroughly impressed to massively disappointed IN JUST 3 MONTHS! I will never buy an ASUS laptop again!).

ASUS ruined the fans. This is the most obvious changed I noticed. Fans erratically halt during workloads. It sometimes go completely silent during intensive usage, throttling the performance. I also noticed how the fans seems to run longer at max during startup than it was before. These are erratic behavior. However, ASUS didn't stop there for ruining the experience, walking it up from sleep is a definite way to experience having your $$$ machine's performance down to its knees. Resource monitor shows my maximum CPU frequency at only 32%. Thanks to ASUS! They certainly know stability because my max cpu frequency stabilizes around 32% after walking up, rendering my machine unusable. Well-played!

Once my pc starts throttling after cold reboot, it's fucked up. It throttles to around 32% even without any load. What's more amusing sometimes is that it remains to 100% max cpu fequency until I open an app (even a simple notepad) and then the stuttering begins. Phew!

I tried myasus for diagnosis. Ran all the diagnosis and it only mentioned a battery problem. Windows troubleshooter didn't help either.

I didn't know it was the BIOS update or the Asus services that's messing it up because there were other windows update that happened at that time and It updated automatically. Before trying this solution posted by monesseharvin (again, thank you!), I have already done the following that cause me time and ruined my life this week.

1. At first, I naturally assumed that windows update is the culprit because I've had issues like this before like some drivers suddenly malfunctioning. So I did system restore to revert the changes. It didn't worked because the only restore point I had was when window's about to update and it created a restore point and probably the BIOS was already updated that time.
  2. After doing system restore, the issue persisted. So I tried updating the drivers like the suggestion you'd often see. Installed driver pack. Once it rebooted, the issue is still there. The only change is now I have Opera browser installed (and some updated drivers.)
  3. System restored. Drivers updated. The issue is still there. At this point, I thought maybe I got an infected pc. So I had another solution attempt of installing several anti-virus programs and malware scanners and scanning my pc in hope that certain malware was causing the performance drop. Nothing was found. If there's anything, it gave me more headache because I had problem uninstalling some software.
  4. I'm becoming more frustrated each day because how sluggish and unreliable my working machine has become and that my attempts were in vain. I have a 15-hour work & study schedule and have deadlines to meet so returning my pc for warranty(like my intuitions says now) and/or allotting more time to make windows work properly would ruin my schedule further. So this time I just installed Linux and dual-booted. With Ubuntu, my computer is buttery smooth now! No more throttling problems! At last, my machine felt like how it should be again. However, there's a catch..
  5. I've used linux distros before as daily driver and they are fine but they all require some setting up to suit your particular need like if you're coming from Windows and some apps you use are windows-only. Luckily for my work, all the apps I need have linux versions. However, I have apps I use on my CCNP study that are windows only like bosons. I tried to setting it up on wine but it remained broken somehow. Also, installing Wine led to some dependencies problem. Now I have to deal with linux problem instead, heck. Although the absence of windows os solved my problems, it also meant that I won't have the windows only software to configure things such as keyboard light & battery charge threshold through Asus Apps. In short, I used ubuntu until I completed my work deadlines then went on to making windows work again.
  6. This time, I backed up my files then reset windows. I thought it was okay now but then when I opened Asus ROG and MyAsus, it suddenly stuttered. So I did the reset again but this time a cloud reinstall, without the Asus preinstalled crapwares. Finally, it worked! No more stuttering any sorts...until asus crapwares are reinstalled through windows update.
  7. At this point, I feel like I've finally pinned down the problem! The Asus products themselves! I checked the if there was Asus related updates and yeah, the rest of those led me to this discussion thread. It so unfortunate that I had to go through all of that to know that the cause of my misery was the updates that came from the laptop brand itself - Asus. Asus and its updates had been throttling my performance all along.

TL;DR

I didn't know at first that Asus updates broke my laptop so I have no idea and had to waste time trying other solutions. As a consolation, all of that arrived at this discussion thread and this workaround solution. And this worked! Thank you monesseharvin. You are a godsend.

Now please excuse me folks from all these venting out cause I have some schedules to repair now.

View post
Glad it worked for you. If you have not contacted ASUS's Support via call or email, please do so. Explain the problem like many others. Currently, ASUS is not aware of this problem for FX505GT models.

jairon_tarnate
Star II

dathuynh555

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/129137#Comment_129137

Glad it worked for you. If you have not contacted ASUS's Support via call or email, please do so. Explain the problem like many others. Currently, ASUS is not aware of this problem for FX505GT models.

View post
Thanks for reminding, I just sent an email now. Hopefully they become aware and issue fixes sooner.

minegun24
Star I
Yeah, I’m having the same problem. I tried contacting Asus and they said to do a hard reset, in which you unplug and laptop and hold down the power button for 60 seconds then plug the laptop back and turn the device on. This work for me once but the next time i boot up the device the same problem persist.

ZT-c46da861
Star II
Welcome
jairon.tarnate

THANK YOU! IT WORKED!

TL;DR

View post
You got it.