rubel123kiranrubel123kiran Level 1
edited December 2020 in ROG Phone 3

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: asus rog 3
  2. Firmware Version: new version
  3. Rooted or not: no
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: everytimr
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

I'm facing a very heavy black crush display on my device can u please solve that issue cause when ever I see some horror or other dark movies this makes very awkward and loose intrest in seeing that clips, picture or any other videos.

Even though I updated my mobile I'm facing this problem please look into this problem thank you

Comments

• Pay attention to this issue as soon as possible

• ARP_ASUSARP_ASUS mod
    edited October 2020

Hey  

Can you please share the below:

1. Firmware version - Please update the new update .98 (https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/39004/201021-rog-phone-3-zs661ks-ww-17-0823-2009-98#latest)

2. App to play video (video title where you experience this)

3. Brightness setting 

4. Screenshot 

• rubel123kiranrubel123kiran Level 1
    edited October 2020

@ARP_ASUS

Firmware version: 17.0823.2009.98

Apps: YouTube, MX player

Brightness settings: 56%

I'm still wondering that is this amoled screen or lCD because all blacks are visible as grey

• The last .98 update actually made it even worse than before. I just want to downgrade the previous version.

• What movie is that? I want to test as well. For me the black crush is apparently fixed.

• For me as well, black crush fixed to greater extent. Had red tint in youtube app at lowest brightness and 144Hz in .78 update. But with 0.98 update, red tint also has minimized.

• I think there are miscommunication between dev team and mod team. While mod team claimed .98 include some tweak to display, Detailed inspection before and after update have shown no improvement (not even slightest) nor shown any worsen state. I think there are reason why it wasn't listed in changelog. Thus far, in going as I predicted way back, they can only push one fota per month no matter the urgency. We are months into this since launch and ROG Phone 4 is coming up. Recurring pattern here is the assurance that next fota may have tweak of display. One fota per month, is just take them 8 fota to drag issues,

• DanishbluntDanishblunt Level 4
    edited October 2020

Have to disagree, I have a mucher harder time to produce black crush. I can only muster black crush at this point by having very specific conditions such as brightness level and movie/scene.

Also I see no announcment of the Rog4 anywhere. Stop pulling information out of your ass.

• Should I upgrade to the latest version or not?

• Im not saying official ROG 4 came out, like I said, just predicting not a fact. ROG current on schedule releasing yearly around August. Specific conditions is already the situation on previous update, also only work on specific apps.

• PHPH Level 1

Well for me the black crush issue is not getting resolved. I have updated the firmware to .98 and all the hdr content on prime and Netflix are just a nightmare to watch. After shelling out so much for this phone I feel cheated. @asus is this a hardware problem? When my brightness is below 25 it is just so pathetic to watch and higer brightness makes everything green. What's happening asus team?

• meet.rahul05meet.rahul05 Level 1
    edited October 2020

I am facing the same. Phone delivery on 20th October 2020. Got 2 OTA updates..still the same. Indeed doesn't seems to be a Amoled display.. blacks looks kind of grey. Made a wrong decision .☹️ @asus if this is hardware then replace it . Feels unfair after giving so much money not getting the said products and features.

1. Model Name: asus rog 3
    2. Firmware Version: build number .98
    3. Rooted or not: no
    4. Frequency of Occurrence: everytime.at certain brightness level.
    5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Amazon prime, YouTube,Mx Player
  • After facing lot of problem in my max pro m1. Finaly i changed my mobile to moto. Thanks asus for your worest service. Even micromax giving better service than u.

• @nightmaster552 bro are u serious? With hw overlay on or off? Because for me I don't see a difference

• tell me what movie that is or find a scene on youtube and I'll try to make a picture from my other phone to show you, but yes, I'm serious. Black crush for me is mostly gone, only there in very specific situations, like for example has to be specific movie at a specific brightness.

• Is there anyone who can take this further to Asus engineering team.

• skailash2001skailash2001 Level 2
    edited October 2020

@nightmaster552 HW overlays on or off?

Try this video, after a minute I can see a lot of black crush, with HW overlay off, and with the overlay on the black crush is reduced but the video looks horrible. See for yourself

• if you guys wanna see black crush just play the new batman trailer from youtube 😁

• I didn't find any noticeable black crush on that video. I have noticed it on the Batman vs. Bane video on YouTube (sorry can't post links yet).

For me it's most pronounced around 50% brightness. That used to be the case at much lower brightness (25% or lower) but maybe the .98 update did something???

It's unfortunate that so many people are experiencing this issue. I've been lucky in that it hasn't affected me as much as I expected it to. And when I watch videos where I know it's going to be an issue or spot it happening I use the Screen Balance app. I know the app is not a fix but it mitigates the problem enough for me to enjoy the content. I then turn the app off when not needed.

• PHPH Level 1

I had the same issue watching this video. This problem seems to be different on different devices and a seperate callibration is required respectively. I had no issue watching the new batman trailer but had issues watching this video.

This discussion has been closed.