This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 7 Huge problem with camera, latest Sept Update 29.13.7. 24

Charles_Rollon
Rising Star I
When you take pictures of faces in back camera or selfie mode, it extremely sharpens the faces and raises the contrast as well. This makes the skins uglier and unpleasant. How do I downgrade to the previous version? This is such a shame because I bought this phone to take selfies, now basically its unusable for me. How do I downgrade to previous version?
117 REPLIES 117

morenomiguel198
Rising Star I
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/127105#Comment_127105

Ok, when it comes to taking selfies and selfie videos, there's no other selfie camera like the one on ZF7Pro. It's unique with the best sensor and OIS. But... when we use a selfie camera in 3rd party apps, it's mainly to make video calls and they are many times long calls. This produces a lot of heat. Because of this, we use the wide view lens and crop it as it doesn't get as hot with prolonged use. So this is ofc also part of the reason why and there's really no way around it. Since the back camera is rarely used for (long) video calls, we allow the main camera to be used.

View post
How is it a heat issue when the main camera is used when flipped (thus more area exposed to air, thus more heat dissipation) than when you film or stream using the main camera when not flipped ?
I don't really understand the issue as it should heat more when used as a main camera, up to 8K or when streaming/calling but using it to film.
Also, when doing a call, you can use the manual flip control to still use the main camera in "selfie" mode, only the image is reversed, so how can it be an issue if a workaround works ?
Can't it be added as a "poweruser" setting (with an alert message when choosing) to put the main camera as the selfie cam by default in third party apps ?
At least allow it to take photos is videos are a problem, the wide camera quality when cropped is really bad in third party apps.

veeharish2005
Zen Master I
lf.asus.z7p

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/126823#Comment_126823

There is no issue with the z7pro back camera when using third party apps, so i think Asus is at least half responsable of the bad image quality of selfie pictures and video with third party apps.

View post
But to be honest, the wide angle camera sensor the sony imx 363 which is the main camera sensor in Google pixel 3,4,5 and asus zenfone 5z. I suspect that the app developers are optimising their app's for popular devices (or atleast the manufacturer is reaching out to the app developers to optimize the app for their device)
Can anyone compare the wide angle quality between stock camera app and 3rd party apps?

Charles_Rollon
Rising Star I
p-20201029-182327-1.jpg
img-20201029-wa0002-01.jpeg
img-20201029-182401-445-01.jpeg
p-20201029-182456-1.jpg
When I sent the picture in whatsapp application camera directly to my friends they always comment why I look so ugly and tired or other funny comments telling me how tired I look. They all ask me what phone I'm using and when I tell them ASUS they say why not use Samsung or iPhone for better camera?

The annoying technique here is to take a picture in asus camera app (but my firmware version is 29.12.18.16) and Reload it in Instagram or whatsapp. Which kind of annoying.

But the most frustrating is when you do facebook live or Instagram live, it will use the wide angle dark camera

@veeharish2005

The problem here is how can the great MAIN CAMERA be used as standard on all apps?

other wise they should have marketed the phone as GREAT CAMERA ONLY ON OUR ASUS CAMERA APP, otherwise BAD CAMERA with MAJOR APPS.

veeharish2005
Zen Master I
Charles Rollon

p-20201029-182327-1.jpg

img-20201029-wa0002-01.jpeg

img-20201029-182401-445-01.jpeg

p-20201029-182456-1.jpg

When I sent the picture in whatsapp application camera directly to my friends they always comment why I look so ugly and tired or other funny comments telling me how tired I look. They all ask me what phone I'm using and when I tell them ASUS they say why not use Samsung or iPhone for better camera?

The annoying technique here is to take a picture in asus camera app (but my firmware version is 29.12.18.16) and Reload it in Instagram or whatsapp. Which kind of annoying.

But the most frustrating is when you do facebook live or Instagram live, it will use the wide angle dark camera

@veeharish2005

The problem here is how can the great MAIN CAMERA be used as standard on all apps?

other wise they should have marketed the phone as GREAT CAMERA ONLY ON OUR ASUS CAMERA APP, otherwise BAD CAMERA with MAJOR APPS.

View post
1. Sony imx 363 is a flagship sensor, asus can get the same image quality of the main camera if they put enough resources into it, so no it is not a poor camera.
2. As you said, the samsung galaxy s20 takes better pictures then asus zenfone 7 in 3rd party apps, so the apps developers are definitely optimizing their app's for those famous devices because a camera with a small sensor cannot beat a fully fledged flagship sensor.
3. The developers of those apps are just being lazy and following the "don't improve it if it works" method.
4. I don't think using the main camera will improve the quality by a margin.
4. I don't agree with @Anders_ASUS about the reason for the apps using the wide angle, a more valid reason would have been that asus zenfone 7 is marketed as a vlogging smartphone so it would make sense to use the wide angle camera for the 3rd party apps.
5. I still think that asus should make it use the main camera because users are requesting that and also Google camera also uses the wide angle.

Charles_Rollon
Rising Star I
There was a new update yesterday Oct 29. Can anyone confirm that it still has the over sharpness and high contrast on faces?