This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android 10 Dark Mode needs improvement

skashwinsk333
Star III
The current Dark mode available in Android 10 beta versions is not real black. I would call it a washed out black. The notification area is the only place we are getting a real black color. Rest through out the system we are experiencing a washed out black color. We can clearly understand this by comparing other brands dark mode with our phones dark mode.
Below I have attached some screen shots. These are not a huge bug or anything. But, while comparing our phone with others personally I felt like we deserve better dark theme.
It would be nice if Asus can improve this. @Christine_ASUS @Anders @victor05lynn
screenshot-20201024-114710-7e2.png
screenshot-20201024-114723-7e2.png
screenshot-20201024-114750-7e2.png
screenshot-20201024-114754-7e2.png
screenshot-20201024-120645-7e2.png

23 REPLIES 23

veeharish2005
Zen Master I
skashwinsk333

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/127007#Comment_127007

I don't think that is true bro. Please check this video . Its a pixel 3 running on Android 10. Take a look at the settings page shown in this video. We can clearly see a pure dark color.

Compare that with our settings page.

Edit: I'm not allowed to post links here. Please search youtube.

View post
That is how Google implemented dark mde in android 10.
Why do you think Google apps use the same grayish black for dark mode, it is because the dark mode in aosp is not pure black and it uses the grayish black.
screenshot-20200925-201548.png
screenshot-20201024-141752.png
It is also the same in my nokia 6.1 plus and nokia 8.1
Google pixel phone's is not a pure android phone without any custamisation done to the aosp, they use a completely different launcher and have a lot of custamisation done to differentiate itself from other devices.

skashwinsk333
Star III
veeharish2005

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/127012#Comment_127012

That is how Google implemented dark mde in android 10.

Why do you think Google apps use the same grayish black for dark mode, it is because the dark mode in aosp is not pure black and it uses the grayish black.

screenshot-20200925-201548.png

screenshot-20201024-141752.png

It is also the same in my nokia 6.1 plus and nokia 8.1

Google pixel phone's is not a pure android phone without any custamisation done to the aosp, they use a completely different launcher and have a lot of custamisation done to differentiate itself from other devices.

View post
Actually I'm not talking about Google apps. Ya, Google apps irrespective of device has a greyish black UI. The 5th screen shot was posted not to show Google messages app. It was posted as a part of the settings.
Ya, you are right Google might be the reason why Nokia is using a greyish black in the settings page etc. Well, Nokia devices are running on Android one program. So they might not be allowed to change the dark theme according to their wish.
But, Asus max pro series are not part of Android one program. So, why can't Asus customize those areas. After all asus max pro series is based on zenui which is close to stock android, right ? I'm not sure about what all Asus is permitted to change. Technically can't Asus modify these if they wish to ?

skashwinsk333
Star III
Also, how did the backup page in the 4th screenshot get pure black color. Is it designed in such a way or is it a mistake ?
Ya, I know these are not huge issues. Still I posted this thread here just out of curiosity.

veeharish2005
Zen Master I
skashwinsk333

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/127021#Comment_127021

Actually I'm not talking about Google apps. Ya, Google apps irrespective of device has a greyish black UI. The 5th screen shot was posted not to show Google messages app. It was posted as a part of the settings.

Ya, you are right Google might be the reason why Nokia is using a greyish black in the settings page etc. Well, Nokia devices are running on Android one program. So they might not be allowed to change the dark theme according to their wish.

But, Asus max pro series are not part of Android one program. So, why can't Asus customize those areas. After all asus max pro series is based on zenui which is close to stock android, right ? I'm not sure about what all Asus is permitted to change. Technically can't Asus modify these if they wish to ?

View post
Asus zenfone max pro m1 and M2 doesn't use zenui, they uses aosp without any custamisation.
skashwinsk333

Also, how did the backup page in the 4th screenshot get pure black color. Is it designed in such a way or is it a mistake ?

Ya, I know these are not huge issues. Still I posted this thread here just out of curiosity.

View post
I think the backup section is not part of the settings app, it looks like it opens new app when we click on backup on the settings. But I don't know for sure.

nidhin3
Zen Master I
veeharish2005

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/127030#Comment_127030

Asus zenfone max pro m1 and M2 doesn't use zenui, they uses aosp without any custamisation.

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/127031#Comment_127031

I think the backup section is not part of the settings app, it looks like it opens new app when we click on backup on the settings. But I don't know for sure.

View post
'aosp without any customisation'
Okay.👍 Without any customisation part is what annoys me. I feel like a bit of customisation (simple stuff) would do no harm.

👍