This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 7 Huge problem with camera, latest Sept Update 29.13.7. 24

Charles_Rollon
Rising Star I
When you take pictures of faces in back camera or selfie mode, it extremely sharpens the faces and raises the contrast as well. This makes the skins uglier and unpleasant. How do I downgrade to the previous version? This is such a shame because I bought this phone to take selfies, now basically its unusable for me. How do I downgrade to previous version?
117 REPLIES 117

veeharish2005
Zen Master I
Charles Rollon

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/126847#Comment_126847

Unlocking the bootloader was partly my fault as I just pressed enter enter next without reading the consequences. I thought unlocking the bootloader would allow me to downgrade to previous firmware clearly this was not the case.

I was told by one of the admin that they will not fix the oily face and high contrast and sharpness on the faces.

View post
That was before dxomark did their review, dxomark is one of the biggest smartphone camera review website and they saying that sharpness is an issue will force the developers to change it. And also the moderator also said that there will be updates optimizing the camera and the sharpness level might be lowered.

Charles_Rollon
Rising Star I
@veeharish2005 Thank you. One of the admin just told me they have no plans to fix the sharpness and they likened it to gcam as alot of people like gcam. I used gcam and it is unforgiving to skin tones that's why I don't used it. But he did say that even though they don't have plans to fix it "they are not closing their doors" on this issue. Which basically it means I have to deal with it. I'm staying at
29.12.18.14 firmware version which I am perfectly happy with the skin tones, I am. The selfies looks fantastic. The best in class. I came from P40 pro, S20 ultra, Note 10+, Note 20 Ultra. None of them compare to Asus Zenfone 7 Pro in this version 29.12.18.14. But with all these updates they are going backwards. So I am quite particular about this.

Last night I was anxious about this issue found it hard to sleep hahaha and was thinking hard how I'm going to have a solution for this. Thanks my friend.

lf_asus_z7p
Star III
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/126593#Comment_126593

Actually, with 29.12.18.14, it's safe to stay. It will keep on working

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/126600#Comment_126600

True. I was too fast to reply. Holding my finger over the wide view camera, I confirmed your statement and I've checked that it's by design.

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/126602#Comment_126602

There are multiple reasons and it makes sense for 3rd party devs to apply more optimization to the bigger brands.

View post
There is no issue with the z7pro back camera when using third party apps, so i think Asus is at least half responsable of the bad image quality of selfie pictures and video with third party apps.

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
lf.asus.z7p

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/126823#Comment_126823

There is no issue with the z7pro back camera when using third party apps, so i think Asus is at least half responsable of the bad image quality of selfie pictures and video with third party apps.

View post
Ok, when it comes to taking selfies and selfie videos, there's no other selfie camera like the one on ZF7Pro. It's unique with the best sensor and OIS. But... when we use a selfie camera in 3rd party apps, it's mainly to make video calls and they are many times long calls. This produces a lot of heat. Because of this, we use the wide view lens and crop it as it doesn't get as hot with prolonged use. So this is ofc also part of the reason why and there's really no way around it. Since the back camera is rarely used for (long) video calls, we allow the main camera to be used.

Charles_Rollon
Rising Star I
@Anders_ASUS this is really a sad discovery. Because, the small punch hole cameras in samsung iPhone and huawei are very clear when used with video calls. And we have to admit that the wide angle lens cropped, is not really the most flattering solution. But not all 3rd party apps are for video calls. That's why it is important that 3rd party apps be able to use the main camera in some circumstances.

Because what happens, is that my whatsapp take dark and unflattering pictures when sending photos to my friends directly from the app, which my friends will think that I am using a cheap inferior phone. Anders, it just cheapens our experience.

To be honest I wanted to really agree when you said that there is no other selfie camera like zenfone pro, partly because I am stuck in the old firmware where I find that the selfie camera pictures are amazing! However this thread is for the issue that I am having and I can't update to new firmware because it is VERY UNFLATTERING to the skin. The ISSUE of major sharpness and contrast.
It feels really tough to be in my position you know. Because everything I say, I don't get help or a solution from you guys.

I feel really unimportant and ASUS is insensitive to my feelings and point of view. Especially when you have recognized that and DXOMARK sees that ASUS ZENFONE 7 PRO makes the faces REALLY SHARP AND HIGH CONTRAST,

and the reply that I get is that you have programmed the camera like GCAM and alot of people like GCAM, is really insensitive.

If I upgrade to the newer firmware, I really have no way of taking decent selfies because even if we use 3rd party apps and shoot from there the quality is not on par because it uses wide angle lens cropped and this JUST ISN'T GOOD ENOUGH.

Anders, lts tough when you say that Zenfone 7 Pro is the best, but let's admit that the experience is very complicated.

And you know what the most painful part is? When you told me that ASUS knows my issue and you are being honest when you told me ASUS DOESN'T HAVE ANY PLANS ON SOLVING YOUR ISSUE CHARLES.
you did say that you were not closing your doors about the camera selfie issues.
But please do understand that I MADE IMMENSE EFFORTS to buy this phone because this is not for sale currently in my country.
I was blown away with the selfie for about two weeks and then after I upgraded to your software updates only to get my skin look as unflattering and as sharp with high contrast.
DON'T GET ME WRONG, I am still thankful that your team has helped me to switch back to previous firmware, but your team is also saying that my camera will stop working on NOV 1.

So I am being forced to update to a camera quality again that I am not happy.

Anders, please tell them to find a way to make the selfies look great and not oversharpened.

Anders please ask them to find a way to at least use the main camera on 3rd party apps (that lens is good)

Again Anders thank you for listening