This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenfone 7 Huge problem with camera, latest Sept Update 29.13.7. 24

Charles_Rollon
Rising Star I
When you take pictures of faces in back camera or selfie mode, it extremely sharpens the faces and raises the contrast as well. This makes the skins uglier and unpleasant. How do I downgrade to the previous version? This is such a shame because I bought this phone to take selfies, now basically its unusable for me. How do I downgrade to previous version?
117 REPLIES 117

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
Charles Rollon

Thank you for your reply @Anders_ASUS but whatever lens it is using it is quite dark and it is obvious that its quality is inferior. Thanks for letting me know that my issue with sharpness will not be addressed, this means that I will be staying with 29.12.18.14 .

But from my understanding the camera will no longer work on November 1? What will happen to me if I stay at my old firmware?

I understand most users like gcam, but it is not flattering to the skin. Why do you fix something that is not broken? The main reason I spent 1000 dollars is because it was great quality for selfie.

I am now looking to move on to another mobile which is a sad truth. The Zenfone 7 pro is good for taking photos with surroundings, but as a selfie vlogging gadget it fails for me. So I am staying at 29.12.18.14

View post
Actually, with 29.12.18.14, it's safe to stay. It will keep on working
laurent.francois.elie

@Anders_ASUS all third party apps use the ultra wide sensor zoomed in as selfie camera. It looks like the main sensor but it is not. You can compare a selfie using the zenfone camera app and a selfie using WhatsApp for instance.

View post
True. I was too fast to reply. Holding my finger over the wide view camera, I confirmed your statement and I've checked that it's by design.
Charles Rollon

With my Samsung note, it takes good Facebook live and Instagram live and good WhatsApp pictures. With Zenfone it looks like I'm using a cheap phone

View post
There are multiple reasons and it makes sense for 3rd party devs to apply more optimization to the bigger brands.

Charles_Rollon
Rising Star I
@Admin @Admin so basically I have no choice but to deal with sharp and over COnrasted photos with the hotfix update because my camera will stop working on November 1. Are you going to fix how the software renders the faces? You just said in your post that asus is committed to providing the best camera and video experience. Has anyone been listening to my concern? Last night I spent 6 hours reinstalling all my apps and emails and logins because when I updated to ur hotfix update, my concerns has not been addressed, I went back to the previous firmware. And now ur saying to update to hotfix but then again I will be stuck with the camera quality that I don't like. Will somebody please help me. My frustration is really high because I bought zenfone 7 pro.

Charles_Rollon
Rising Star I
@Anders_ASUS thank you for your reply. Now the confusion has reached new heights, as o e of ur admins stated that after Nov 1, the camera will stop working. And you are saying it will keep working. For a device that is marketed a photography king, we now know that it has a lot of limitations. And will you please forward the feedback to those people who can make the changes. I know I am just one person and Im not even a tech vlogger with millions of followers but I sincerely hope my voice is heard. I moved mountains just to buy this device as this device is not available in the country where I am living. And now I am stuck with this experience.
1. When you said that facebook is favored by samsung note 20, ok I understand that all my facebook live and Instagram live will use the telephoto camera zoomed in cropped.
2. I cannot use my Google Pay anymore.
3. I have high contrast sharpness and oily face in my selfies.
4. My camera will stop on November 1.
5. I lost my over the air update.
6. I spent more than 24 hours in total just to reinstall all my apps and logins due to my phone being erased multiple times.
7. I spent tons of money just to buy this phone because this phone is not available in my cou try.
8. Spent tons of money to order accessories and screen protector from overseas because is not available in my country.
9. When you to take a picture in whatsapp it takes it in telephoto lens where it is completely dark.

And I'm still willing to overlook all of this for a good selfie.

I swear I love this phone. But seriously, you're breaking my heart.

It is dramatic. But spending a thousand dollars and not fighting for it is so much worse.

@Admin @Admin

veeharish2005
Zen Master I
Charles Rollon

@Anders_ASUS thank you for your reply. Now the confusion has reached new heights, as o e of ur admins stated that after Nov 1, the camera will stop working. And you are saying it will keep working. For a device that is marketed a photography king, we now know that it has a lot of limitations. And will you please forward the feedback to those people who can make the changes. I know I am just one person and Im not even a tech vlogger with millions of followers but I sincerely hope my voice is heard. I moved mountains just to buy this device as this device is not available in the country where I am living. And now I am stuck with this experience.

1. When you said that facebook is favored by samsung note 20, ok I understand that all my facebook live and Instagram live will use the telephoto camera zoomed in cropped.

2. I cannot use my Google Pay anymore.

3. I have high contrast sharpness and oily face in my selfies.

4. My camera will stop on November 1.

5. I lost my over the air update.

6. I spent more than 24 hours in total just to reinstall all my apps and logins due to my phone being erased multiple times.

7. I spent tons of money just to buy this phone because this phone is not available in my cou try.

8. Spent tons of money to order accessories and screen protector from overseas because is not available in my country.

9. When you to take a picture in whatsapp it takes it in telephoto lens where it is completely dark.

And I'm still willing to overlook all of this for a good selfie.

I swear I love this phone. But seriously, you're breaking my heart.

It is dramatic. But spending a thousand dollars and not fighting for it is so much worse.

@Admin @Admin

View post
I think you should have waited for 1 or 2 updates before unlocking your bootloader because this phone was launched only one month ago and there will be a lot of updates to optimize skin tone, sharpness and dynamic range.
And also I have a question for you,
Have you ever unlocked bootloader for your phone and did you know the consequences of unlocking bootloader (before you unlocked bootloader on your asus zenfone 7) ?
To my knowledge there is only two issues with the camera.
1. Wrong implementation of camera2api
2. Higher sharpness on human face.
And also dxomark also spoke about the sharpness issue so the issue will probably will be fixed.

Charles_Rollon
Rising Star I
veeharish2005

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/126835#Comment_126835

I think you should have waited for 1 or 2 updates before unlocking your bootloader because this phone was launched only one month ago and there will be a lot of updates to optimize skin tone, sharpness and dynamic range.

And also I have a question for you,

Have you ever unlocked bootloader for your phone and did you know the consequences of unlocking bootloader (before you unlocked bootloader on your asus zenfone 7) ?

To my knowledge there is only two issues with the camera.

1. Wrong implementation of camera2api

2. Higher sharpness on human face.

And also dxomark also spoke about the sharpness issue so the issue will probably will be fixed.

View post
Unlocking the bootloader was partly my fault as I just pressed enter enter next without reading the consequences. I thought unlocking the bootloader would allow me to downgrade to previous firmware clearly this was not the case.

I was told by one of the admin that they will not fix the oily face and high contrast and sharpness on the faces.