Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenbook UM425IA 4700U, Bitlocker Recovery Issue

robby_agustinus
Star II
System: Windows 10 Home
Battery or AC: Both
Model: Asus zenbook UM425IA (Ryzen 4700U, 16GB, 512GB SSD)
Frequency of occurrence: Always
Reset OS: None
Screenshot or video: Screenshot
========================
Detailed description:
After I bought it, I set it up with my microsoft account and after I start using it, most of the times (and now become always) after I shut it down, the system will turn off then turn back on (without me doing anything on the machine) and it goes to bitlocker recovery blue screen.

bitlocker-recovery.png

After this, I can do 2 things:

a. I look for the recovery key and then insert it, then it will boot again to WIndows (although it will took much longer than normal)
b. Press the power button for 10 seconds and force shutdown. When I turn back on, signing in to system is normal and quick
Then, I check my drive and it doesn't show that I has bitlocker on. I don't seems have any bitlocker apps anyway since the OS is Windows Home.
However, when I check Microsoft Office account, on my asus laptop, I click manage, and can see that it says Bitlocker is ON.
Overall, I can still use the laptop without any issue but it is tiring that everytime (almost) I turned off the machine, it will turn back on automatically then I have to force shut down the computer. It never happens when I boot the machine, it always happen after I shut down.
My question: Is there anyway to solve this problem? 
PS: I just debloat my windows and the system is pretty light and the temperature is getting much cooler now since the background process is less. One Drive is uninstalled as well. At the beginning when purchasing this laptop, if I put it in standard mode, the fan is keep throttling at full pace and the temp is at 80+ degree celcius. After debloat is became 40ish unless I have full load of excel, chrome, etc. However, after debloating windows, it doesn't change a thing for bitlocker recovery. I didn't debloat to cure the bitlocker issue anyway.

BIOS has been upgraded to 10.1.2.306
image.png
My Asus app
image.png

14 REPLIES 14

robby_agustinus
Star II
This is getting worse.
Today after long hour of work and a bit late, I was shutting down the laptop and then wait for too few seconds to see if the laptop turn back on and goes into bitlocker recovery mode.
However, I thought it was not turn back on by itself so I put it into the sleeves and into my bag.
When I was driving, 30 mins from the office, I touch my bag and it is super hot. So I take out the sleeves and tried to take out the laptop but it was too hot to touch.
Once I am able to throw the laptop out of the sleeves without touching it, the bitlocker screen was on, the fan going wild and everything was super hot.
I really think Asus UM425 is a time bomb. This laptop is only about 2 weeks old but issues already happened. The sleep to wake sometimes also took forever or it won't wake up at all until I hard reset it.
Feeling a remorse since my old X1 carbon is very solid and stable. Even I don't have to turn off the laptop with many excels and browser still on but when I close the lid, it really sleep and quick to wake without battery being too much drawn nor heat happened when it sleeps.

robby_agustinus
Star II
Finally, I decided to reset the laptop to factory settings.
So, I remove all the files and rest the laptop to factory settings then I sign in again as before using my microsoft account. Once done, before anything else, I debloat windows to avoid the heat issue with so many processes in the background (it was initially the reason why I debloat windows when I just got this laptop 2 weeks ago, the previous bitlocker issues happened even before I debloat the windows anyway so I don't think debloating windows was the culprit anyway).
After that, I reinstall all the apps that I need and right now trying to get all my files back from cloud.
So far I have been trying to turn off and the previous issue has ceased. Hopefully it would be stable from now on but I will always worry due to what happened before.
I tried the sleep function and so far, it can wake up much easier than before although several times I notice that the laptop doesn't really sleep with the fan kept spinning. So I won't trust the sleep function and won't put it into my bag while it sleeps.

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello Robby,
Please kindly send your device to service center for a more complete examination.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Thank you.

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
robby.agustinus

This is getting worse.

Today after long hour of work and a bit late, I was shutting down the laptop and then wait for too few seconds to see if the laptop turn back on and goes into bitlocker recovery mode.

However, I thought it was not turn back on by itself so I put it into the sleeves and into my bag.

When I was driving, 30 mins from the office, I touch my bag and it is super hot. So I take out the sleeves and tried to take out the laptop but it was too hot to touch.

Once I am able to throw the laptop out of the sleeves without touching it, the bitlocker screen was on, the fan going wild and everything was super hot.

I really think Asus UM425 is a time bomb. This laptop is only about 2 weeks old but issues already happened. The sleep to wake sometimes also took forever or it won't wake up at all until I hard reset it.

Feeling a remorse since my old X1 carbon is very solid and stable. Even I don't have to turn off the laptop with many excels and browser still on but when I close the lid, it really sleep and quick to wake without battery being too much drawn nor heat happened when it sleeps.

View post
why can't your disable bit locker encryption.
Booting with bit locker encryption is too slow but full safety but sometimes , disk leads to destroying datas