This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG phone 3 is capped to 60hz refresh rate when hdmi cable/capture card is connected

Swadesh
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG Phone 3 (8GB)
Firmware Version: QKQ1.200419.002.WW_Phone-17.0823.2008.70
Rooted or not: Not rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: Always
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): NA
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
As soon as you connect a capture card to the device through either of the type c port, the refresh rate of the device is capped to 60hz. Which is ridiculous if you want to play and capture your gameplay at the same time.
I want to play the game at 90hz, but capture it as 60fps as my capture card can record upto 1080p60. I have set the screen refresh rate to 90hz on game Armory. And 90fps is selected in game as well.
But when I connect the hdmi cable, the phone refresh rate is automatically locked at 60hz. No other device does that. The external output should not affect the phone's capability to refresh it's own display. Why is it happening?
I have iPad Pro and oneplus 7 pro. None of these devices cap the refresh rate of phone's display when external output is connected.
I bought this phone to capture my games while enjoying them at high refresh rate display. I didn't expect a mediocre limited hardware on this device.
4 REPLIES 4

KartikSaha
Rising Star I
It's a huge problem fix this. 😭

ARP_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hey Swadesh,
That's' how it works for now on ROG Phone 2 for best experience.

Volodesi
Rising Star II
You can't capture video at more than 30/60 FPS unless the capture card supports it. The capture card tells the phone that it can only do 60Hz. So that is what the phone changes to.

You would need a newer capture card that can support passthrough for higher refresh rates.

Swadesh
Star III
But why change phone's display refresh rate?
Let it be whatever refresh rate it is set on phone, and let capture card do its thing. Why change phone's refresh rate based on capture card?