cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black Crush explained ( Rog3 / OP 8 )

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
youtube.com/watch?v=8EoRnfA1cK0
Here is an explanation as to why black crush is happening and how Asus can fix it. It also explains how this is NOT a hardware defect even with an example.
I hope this will clearify a great deal and that you guys need to stop spreading weird nonsense like its caused by high refreshrate screens, hardware defect or that asus cheaped out on displays. Just chill a little bit and let asus fix it, and Asus you need to stop the hotfixes, it's seriously doing more damage than good.
Hope to see much less black crush topics as it's really getting old by now.
82 REPLIES 82

hank_email_is
Rising Star II
I realized once I toggle on the disable HW overlay I can now see perfect black on hdr videos now on youtube like before the update.
Is black crush meaning heavy pixelated black pixel? It does not mean the scene is just very dark (but no pixelation)?
If so I rather have asus keep the original calibration, I don't see black pixelation in dark scene on my screen, but do get annoyed when black now become grey and not pure black. In that case a lcd screen is better for even better color at each brightness.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
hank_email_is

I realized once I toggle on the disable HW overlay I can now see perfect black on hdr videos now on youtube like before the update.

Is black crush meaning heavy pixelated black pixel? It does not mean the scene is just very dark (but no pixelation)?

If so I rather have asus keep the original calibration, I don't see black pixelation in dark scene on my screen, but do get annoyed when black now become grey and not pure black. In that case a lcd screen is better for even better color at each brightness.

View post
Correct. Black crush means that scenes get pixilated. The dark scene behavior you talk about is mismatched gamma level, if you have a PC screen and put the gamma setting from 1 to lets say 0.6 (in NVIDIA, AMD or Intel graphics controller) you would make dark grey to black similair to what you see now on your phone, again this is caused by the fact that the OLED screens shifts when brightness is being adjusted.
I agree tho, I prefer having black crush and extreme darkness rather than the silly transparent hotfix which ruins not only dark scenes but everything, but again, in a way by spamming Asus with black crush people are forcing Asus to do some sort of hasty reaction leading to this, so instead of causing a huge commotion, let Asus do a proper fix.

rZEnd
Star III
If ASUS not fix. And you make a app, don't matter if was paid or not. And root or not. Provide for who want this fixed. It's very annoying have this device with this issue

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
rZEnd

If ASUS not fix. And you make a app, don't matter if was paid or not. And root or not. Provide for who want this fixed. It's very annoying have this device with this issue

View post
If Asus doesn't get this fixed, then I will attempt to make the application, but before that I'll wait as I'm quite certain Asus will get it fixed.

skailash2001
Rising Star I
I can understand that black crush is a software issue. But do you notice the grain in the display increasing with refresh rate @nightmaster552 . Any idea on why it is like that? Since this is the first time I've seen something like this on a phone, it feels weird.