ganeshgannu007
Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ASUS ROG PHONE 3
Firmware Version: 17.0823.2008.70
Rooted or not: Not
Frequency of Occurrence: Everytime
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): NA
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I want to tell you that this phone, ROG 3 is having severe black levels issue. I have pitched it against OnePlus 6 whic is more than 2 years old and this phone cannot compete against that.
My questions are these,
1. Is the display panel used in this phone bad quality?
2. Can this be fixed by software updates? I don't see how cuz I already got 2 updates for fixing yet nothing happend.
3. Can I get a replacement or the display replacement under warranty If this display is faulty?
4. Is my display ok or faulty?
5. Is this display AMOLED or LCD?🤔😒

Pls watch the below files and do let me know what I can do and What Asus can or is Doing?
@Laura_ASUS @CH_ASUS @Gustav_ASUS @TITAN
@CH_ASUS @Gustav_ASUS @Titan_ASUS @Anders_ASUS @Kris_ASUS @gabriel_prado @falcon9 @laura50123
img-20200920-wa0009.jpg

18 REPLIES 18

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
Thunder Demon

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/120505#Comment_120505

True

I have seen black crush and burn complains in premium OLEDs too 😂

On phones sadly all high hz phones have it as of now (beyond 90hz it's more pronounced)

View post
Wrong, it's a common misconection. It's not the high refreshrate that does the black crush, it's the brightness. Very well lit OLED screens are much much harder to calibrate than dimmer ones. Typically high refreshrate OLED's come with very high brightness levels, that's why we never heard of black crush before even tho we had OLEDs for a while now.
That's why you see 60hz OLED phones with black crush such as S9, Pixel 2 and so on. The brighter the screen is able to get the stronger the black crush will become if you don't calibrate it on each brightness level.
I will make a video on this explaining why black crush happens, why people need to chill, how to mitigate the problem for yourself and for the future what to look for as there are some devices that CAN have a hardware fault.

Aryan202
Community Legend I
ganeshgannu007

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/118938#Comment_118938

Is going for 144hz or anything above 60hz is wrong decision if so why are these displays superior.

I want to tell you that all other colours reproduction is of great quality but, blacks are too bad. That is a serious issue coz we enjoy an Amoled for its blacks.

View post
Um 144hz does have its advantages
Anyone who has tried anything above than 60hz won't be able to go to 60fps again as it'll feel slow and stutter-ry (I've noticed this with many)
Plus you do get the snappy touch response,high touch sampling and latency on such panels
As par as disadvantages are concerned that has to be black and tint,these two are the most reported things in high refresh rate displays (some phones like OnePlus 8pro have some other stuff like artifacts,black bar around punch hole too tho)
I think high hz displays need different calibration compared to 60hz so they need to adjust calibration accordingly
In the latest update black crush at low brightness is basically solved but there's slight tint and higher brightness doesn't have that great blacks from I what gather reading posts here
Asus is still tinkering rog 3's display let's hope they find a sweet spot 🙂

Aryan202
Community Legend I
nightmaster552

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/120508#Comment_120508

Wrong, it's a common misconection. It's not the high refreshrate that does the black crush, it's the brightness. Very well lit OLED screens are much much harder to calibrate than dimmer ones. Typically high refreshrate OLED's come with very high brightness levels, that's why we never heard of black crush before even tho we had OLEDs for a while now.

That's why you see 60hz OLED phones with black crush such as S9, Pixel 2 and so on. The brighter the screen is able to get the stronger the black crush will become if you don't calibrate it on each brightness level.

I will make a video on this explaining why black crush happens, why people need to chill, how to mitigate the problem for yourself and for the future what to look for as there are some devices that CAN have a hardware fault.

View post
Wow I didn't know that
My conception was that higher hz affects black crush and tint
A video will be great tho!
Do share the link in this thread

ARP_ASUS
Community Legend II