Being able to chose which camera module to use for selfies in third party apps

morenomiguel198
Rising Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Zenfone 7 Pro
Firmware Version: WW_29.12.18.14
Rooted or not: not rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: every time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): Snapchat, Instagram, Skype
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Hi,
It would be great if we could chose which camera to use when using the "front camera" in third party apps like Snapchat, Instagram and Skype.
For now it always use the wide angle camera, which can be great but has a bit lower quality than the main sensor when zoomed-in a bit to fit better (a wide angle is not always needed).
What would be even better would be to add the ability to switch which camera module to use in the popup button allowing us to rotate the Flip Camera.
In a way, it would be nice to have this option also when taking photos with the back camera, being able to chose between the three modules (not always the main one). I'm not talking about the camera app, only third party apps.
Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
Yes, it would be nice but it's not so simple to solve. The camera 2 api (which handles the communication between apps and camera in android) doesn't include multi camera support. I've seen a solution on (maybe it was a samsung) where you could dubble tap on the camera switch button to switch between main/wide/tele cameras instead of front/back camera but I'm pretty sure this support was built in by the app developer and not the manufacturer.

morenomiguel198
Rising Star I
Ok thanks for your response, I understand.
So, as it's handled by Android through the API, there is somewhere in the ASUS firmware something telling Android that when an app wants to use the front cam, it flips the camera module and use the wide camera (and flips the image).
Can a setting made by ASUS force the front cam to be the main one instead of the wide one ?
I mean, if it's not possible to switch camera in an app because of how the API works, maybe a phone-wide setting can work, just telling the Android API to use the main camera instead of the wide one.