This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Widewine L1 support is not retained after using bootloader unlock tool

ImShrey
Rising Star II

Model Name: Rog 2, 8gb 128gb Indian unit (WW)
Firmware Version: 2009.47
Rooted or not: not
Frequency of Occurrence: everytime
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): official unlock tool

After using latest bootloader unlock tool, widewine L1 support is not retained, and it is downgraded to L3. Resulting users are unable to stream HD content via ott apps like Netflix and Amazon prime video.
The same is not the case with other asus devices, Both asus Zenfone 5z and 6z are able to retain Widewine L1 after bootloader unlock using official tool.
Now even Rog 3 is retaining the L1, also this should not be hardware dependency. Many of the Rog 2 users are now at the end of their 1 year warranty period and are looking forward to unlock the bootloader, but this basic issue is deal breaker. so please patch this anomaly as soon as possible.

21 REPLIES 21

FiREPLAY
Rising Star I
YES!! Doesn't make sense why R2 can't retain it while other devices can, ZF6 wasn't able to retain it before the August update but now it's possible for them, pretty sure the ASUS devs can also bring it to R2.
Device is almost at the end of its warranty period for most of us and we'd would like to be able to stream ott apps like Netflix and Amazon Prime Video in Full HD even after unlocking.
Make it happen @Gustav_ASUS @ARP_ASUS @Anders_ASUS

mamayankag
Rising Star I
Yes please. This is extremely disappointing. At least HD is the basic thing that we should get. I am not sure why there's so much ignorance towards ROG2 from ASUS.

Same has been the case with almost all the A10 Updates.
Every A10 update has similar set of changelog:
Security Update to previous or Current month.
60%-80% Fixes
20%-40% New Bugs/Issues Introduced

FiREPLAY
Rising Star I
@Gustav_ASUS can you forward this to the developers?

ImShrey
Rising Star II
FiREPLAY

@Gustav_ASUS can you forward this to the developers?

View post
+1, it would great if devs manage to squeeze this in next week's ota.