mohammed98221
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ZS661KS 
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not:
Frequency of Occurrence:
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Hi all,
apologies if this has been asked to death. I have found some conflicting info around the web.
I have a few questions regarding the Tencent version of the Rog 3 (8/128 GB strix). As you know most of the ones available on ebay are Tencent versions with global rom installed. Here are my questions:
1) Do they receive ota updates? Do you need to change fingerprint to get ota?
2) Do apps like netflix, google pay and banking apps work? I saw a post from a US person who said their banking apps worked on the Chinese rom version.
There are few international versions available on ebay but the price difference is huge! I don't mind having to flash roms etc if it is possible to get either ota working or I can download updates from Asus site and manually update and also if it gets banking apps/google pay working. Has anyone had experience with these issues?
I live in the UK btw.
Cheers.
8 REPLIES 8

ZT-34ba278d
Star III
For Me I have Tencent Version with the latest FOTA update,and it is set to English language, and still suffering from below points:
1.Contacts are not fully converted to English, still you will see chineese fonts,especially international numbers.
2.Twin Apps are not supported in my case only google play is available.
3.Netflix is not available on play store, only by side download the apk
4.Account cloud back up is useless for Tencent version because it is all in chineese and you need to register only via wechat which is not active in my country, so you have only local backup.
5.Recommended search are all on Chinese even when language is changed to English,latest news, games, weather all are in Chinese
6.I do recommend to buy the WW now it became cheaper, if I can return my unit I would have done from before and get the WW version because it is pain in the *** to keep modifying the phone and it is supposed to be flagship and supports every single aspect.

xihe
Rising Star II
alidaher409@gmail.com

For Me I have Tencent Version with the latest FOTA update,and it is set to English language, and still suffering from below points:

1.Contacts are not fully converted to English, still you will see chineese fonts,especially international numbers.

2.Twin Apps are not supported in my case only google play is available.

3.Netflix is not available on play store, only by side download the apk

4.Account cloud back up is useless for Tencent version because it is all in chineese and you need to register only via wechat which is not active in my country, so you have only local backup.

5.Recommended search are all on Chinese even when language is changed to English,latest news, games, weather all are in Chinese

6.I do recommend to buy the WW now it became cheaper, if I can return my unit I would have done from before and get the WW version because it is pain in the *** to keep modifying the phone and it is supposed to be flagship and supports every single aspect.

View post
You knew what you were getting into when you bought the tencent version correct? Or you didn't do research and bought it because the price was cheap?

ZT-34ba278d
Star III
I did research and thought to keep original software but didn't expect lack of above features, I bought it in pre-order so I wanted to have ASAP but now the prices are dropped for WW version if u want to consider.

mohammed98221
Star III
So, I have finally got my hands on the phone (12/128 Tencent version with WW) and here are a few thoughts:
1) OTA does not work but I have managed to download and install latest update (78 I think). Fairly easy process and so is not an issue.
2) Google pay, bank app and Netflix work fine.
3) I had to manually enter APN for Virgin Mobile to get internet access.
4) 4G speeds seem much slower. Maybe due to fewer bands supported by the Chinese version. Will test it out in more locations and networks later. If I continue getting poor 4G speeds I might return the phone.
5) Black crush is a problem. Dark scenes in videos are not great to watch. I hope they can fix this.
6) Camera is OK at best. Coming from Pixel 4XL I can notice a big difference. Gcam works ok. Slightly improves image quality.
Will update again after I've used it for a few days.