cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Phone 2 heating issue

Ban
Star II
Hi,
I noticed that my phone is warmer to touch lately. The battery drains faster too.
I noticed that my CPU temperature is high - it ranges from 60-69 degrees Celsius. I don't even play games on it much. I've also used the power master feature and kept the phone optimized.
Just browsing through the phone system drains about 3% of the battery in just 5 minutes use.
Does anyone know why this is happening? I just bought this phone 2 months ago - it didn't have this problem before.
Here's a picture of the Armory Crate to show the temperature.

WAE7KUH5RV9T.jpg

66 REPLIES 66

monalac
Rising Star I
I am having battery consumption issue only sometimes, other issues I do dont experience, heating is only while gaming around 40 degrees only.

Schischu
Star II
I had similar problems but I think that I found the solution. Take a look at my Post:
https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/32068/heating-issue-rog-phone-2-solved-at-last-for-me#latest

Excellence
Star II
Hi,my name is Abdulrahman from Saudi Arabia. I just solved this exact same issue by turning off all app supervisions and operation restrictions. My thoughts were like; if the cpu is burning it's self to prevent apps from working this must be the culprit. Because it's doing that instead of the apps.
Before I reached this conclusion I kept watching my cpu temps in armoury crate and try to figure out, why the cpu is pinned to max frequency!?
Cpu temp between 55~61c°
Gpu temp between 47~51c°
System temp between 37~42c° it was so hot 🔥

I tried the following until I figured it out..
1- I took off the phone case.
Result: No improvement..

2- I tried restarting the phone.
Result: It improved for 5 seconds then pinned the cpu to max frequency again.

3- I switched on every measure to kill apps and clean the memory. I did it manually one app at the time too..
Result: Only to see the highest temps. This result made me start questioning the reliability of those app detection and restriction measures.

4- I uninstalled so many games and apps.
Result: No improvement.

5- I opened the device myself to see if there is anything inside going bad.
Result: This step didn't help.

6- Loosening restrictions on apps.
Results: Temps went down to;
CPU 44c°
GPU 43c°
System 34c°

Ambient temperature is around 25c° not sure though. I'm just guessing.

I hope this helps. Have a great one.

Excellence
Star II
Switch off: Opti-flex
Switch off: Detection of Battery draining Apps
Switch off any similar gimmicks.

Excellence
Star II
screenshot-20200926-160914010.jpg
Currently at the time of writing this.
I think the system was doing too much to prevent apps from working.