This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Updates

dj_darshan53
Star II
Well i wanted to use rog phone 2 so i upgraded from oneplus 6 to it . But than it came as an bad thing jist because of its firmware / software updates they are so damn slow got android 10 after almost 6-7 months of release whereas oneplus 7t which launched alongside rog 2 got it inside the box and now its been gone all august and half september but still no security patch updates also for august so i wont even ask for september im tired so just gonna switch to oneplus again #soon
36 REPLIES 36

ronald1985
Community Legend I
deeppaul589

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/116216#Comment_116216

😂😂 You seem to love ferarri but you don't care about what fuel you put in the tank. Smooth software is not only desireable but also necessary. Their software is not smooth as other manufacturers.

What I'm saying is normal phones are not so different from a gaming phone only a few changes here and there. Ofcourse there is the air triggers which is additional hardware, but most of it is similar to a normal phone

View post
In response to the fuel comment, sounds like that person shouldn't own a Ferrari if that person is treating it like a normal car.
What reason did you buy a gaming phone?
I am intrigue to know because you said it's almost like a normal phone. There's alot of reviews about gaming phones and whether to buy them. At the end of day, it's a preference to people. Just because someone hated the experience, doesn't mean everyone will hate it too.
Software does play a major role and I am talking about when it works, and it does to some. I think what get these discussions tied up is we are bringing the bad experiences into this and that leads to conclusions that gaming phones are like normal phones.

aljay
Star III
Gustav_ASUS

We have a FOTA coming to ROG II in September that will include an updated security patch.

View post
Great update! 🤣

IRONHIDE
Rising Star II
FiREPLAY

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/116119#Comment_116119

Yeah well Samsung updates a lot of their devices faster nowadays

image.png

View post
i had samsung before the problem is it depends on the carrier and country where you bought your phone it has different update timings

IRONHIDE
Rising Star II
ronald1985

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/116209#Comment_116209

To me - the hardware is more important for a gaming phone. Software i.e. the looks (like changing colour, background) comes to the bottom of the list for me. I am from Europe and I don't use VOLTE and 5G wasn't even on my requirement list for gaming. The RAM and processing power i.e. the speed will always come first than the quality for me. Does quality actually make you play better? But its your viewpoint really at the end as not everyone has the same style of play.

Gaming phones are kind of different because of the bulked up hardware and even the looks sometimes. Just like a gaming PC with bulked up hardware and running on the same Windows or Linux Distros. Likewise, what is the point of a gaming mouse to a normal mouse. Air triggers is another hardware feature that the gaming phones are coming up with that a normal phone dont have. I know some of you will come back saying this isnt a gaming phone because it is breaking for me. But this is a discussion about two phones that work.

View post
yup i agree hardware is important so why is a gaming phone like asus rog 2 and rog 1 having hardware failure? i had some samsung one plus phones that i extremely use for gaming for hours and i didn't get that hardware failure but many people reporting rog 2 having hardware or motherboard replacement. which is very much confusing for a gaming phone.

ronald1985
Community Legend I
IRONHIDE

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/116216#Comment_116216

yup i agree hardware is important so why is a gaming phone like asus rog 2 and rog 1 having hardware failure? i had some samsung one plus phones that i extremely use for gaming for hours and i didn't get that hardware failure but many people reporting rog 2 having hardware or motherboard replacement. which is very much confusing for a gaming phone.

View post
We know ROG 1 and 2 don't have the best hardware for getting rid of the heat (as seen on Jerry Rig). The overheating is probably one of your major drivers for hardware failure i.e. rebooting/shutdowns. This can be caused by defective hardware or software. But the point I was trying to make earlier on is that not everyone is getting the shutdown issue therefore, software for ROG 2 is highly unlikely the cause (except for those who didn't upgrade or have Tencent models with WW ROMs).
People first time buying a gaming phone will not feel it's like a gaming phone because of the issues. That's fair enough. Same goes with everything really, bad experience first time round, you won't get it again. That's just human behaviour.
ROG 3 came out and even though I don't have this device, it should manage the heat alot better than it's precessors because of the better cooling environment in the phone. Samsung and OnePlus doesn't have their processors overclocked like the ROG does (and it claims). That's why when you overclock PC, you need to make sure it's right otherwise you will face problems later with heating and thus restarting/shutdowns.