ROG 3 suffers from heavy black crush issue

Cpz
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:ROG
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not:not
Frequency of Occurrence:QKQ1.200419.002. WW_Phone-17.0823.2007.25
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):netflix,amazon prime india ,youtube(little bit)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I have brought device August 12 ,2020 through flipkart first sale at 6auhust. I was very happy until i open netflix ,it has vert bad black crush issue even at full brightness ,in 50pecent brightness colour washed out heavy black crush issue is this hardware or software issue??anyway im just gonna refund ....but i asked some of YouTubers they have none issue ,but for fellow customers only have this😓. I decided to live with this but some of units have no issue why i wanna live with this issue for years so i try to get refund and but 12gb varient.
In YouTube crush issue is little low when compared to netflix and amazon prime ,rather than that this dev is beast 😍
I have noticed heat in aero active coller side(40°to43°) always while playing pupg at 90hz,balanced,extream . although I'm staying in AC room 22°c all time!

screenshot-20200814-161049930.jpg
img-20200813-wa0011.jpg
picsart-08-13-04-46-11.jpg
picsart-08-13-04-44-38.jpg
img-20200813-wa0012.jpg

993 REPLIES 993

MV
Rising Star II
nightmaster552

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/116175#Comment_116175

As it's very clear you don't really understand how technology works let me enlighten you.

The calibration wouldn't work depending on scene or movie, but on brightness setting. Meaning if you eliminate all black crush on 50% brightness with proper settings, all dark scenes are "fixed". Professional devices such as the Sony HX 310 which costs 40.000USD still need hand calibrating as well, this is simply how displays work.

The reason black crush is happening isn't Asus's, Oneplus's or Samsung's fault, the reason black crush is happening is simply because these panels are way to good. Ironicly the panels are able to display so much color, that watching SDR content which is typical on youtube will cause black crush thanks to terrible conversion.

The OLED screens misinterpret colors from SDR content causing these effects to happen. Asus, OP and Samsung are trying to workaround these issues caused by google by playing with gamma settings.

If you want proof, open your youtube application on your phone, type "joker interrogation scene" on youtube, there is 1 video with HDR and another without. You'll notice how the HDR version will have no black crush whatsoever while the SDR version has black crush.

If you want to vent out your anger to someone, then do it at google, blame them for having insufficient conversion and making applications inconsistend by adding a stupid transparent layer to try and workaround true blacks causing black crush. If you watch any SDR content on youtube and rotate your device you'll see how the dark grey is turning real black for a split second as the overlay from google is disabled and reenabled for the rotated mode.

View post
You are mixing up multiple things and trying to prove your point. Blaming Google for the issues on ROG 3 panel. Wow. Do you think they forgot the basics of digital image processing before writing their algo on how different refresh rates will affect the video quality on different panels. I thought black crush is a universal issue that can happen on any oled not just android by google, be it TV, monitor, laptop or mobile. One thing you can blame google off is not centralising the higher refresh rates in android core and deep within, until then it's upto OEM to decide how to tackle. Not sure I understood you correctly. Do you have any source so everyone can also have a read on it and demystify ROG 3 black crush. Please do share.

Danishblunt
Hall of Fame I
MV

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/116217#Comment_116217

You are mixing up multiple things and trying to prove your point. Blaming Google for the issues on ROG 3 panel. Wow. Do you think they forgot the basics of digital image processing before writing their algo on how different refresh rates will affect the video quality on different panels. I thought black crush is a universal issue that can happen on any oled not just android by google, be it TV, monitor, laptop or mobile. One thing you can blame google off is not centralising the higher refresh rates in android core and deep within, until then it's upto OEM to decide how to tackle. Not sure I understood you correctly. Do you have any source so everyone can also have a read on it and demystify ROG 3 black crush. Please do share.

View post
It's not just the Rog panel, there are multiple OLED panels suffering from this issue. You clearly didn't get the memo that even 60hz OLED screens do have black crush as well.
I tested a Motorola One Zoom and it has indeed black crush as well, altho not as "heavy" as the Rog3.
Another thing that I find very curious is that people here seem to have the idea that it's a hardware defect while also saying that the Rog2 had no such issues despite having borderline the same panel, only difference is that the Rog3 has a slightly modified version of the Rog2 panel.
As for the entire "do you really think google forgot basics of image processing".
Go to google and type: "Explained: Why this photo crashes some Android phones".
nuff said. They have plenty room to improve on it and their lazy transparent white overlay they put on chrome and youtube is laughable. Which again, you can test for yourself by starting any youtube video and rotate it.

As for reasons for black crush: Some will be caused by bad gamma levels, some by bad SDR to HDR conversion and others by both. However whats needed for a 100% fix would be a custom gamma level for each individual device and a proper SDR to HDR conversion, once that's in place the OLED panels can be fixed. However due to color shifting in higher brightness, also the feature to set the correct gamma level should be a thing for each brightness level in step of 10%.
This is the only thing Asus could possibly do in order to get the best results possible.
They should also integrate this feature in their setup of the device, taking an image that does a black level test.
Then ask the user to set the gamma level until they can see all numbers from 1 - xx. If they do this, then Asus has already the optimal solution for the black crush issue on their phones from their side. I don't think it's reasonable to assume that Asus knows how to make their own SDR to HDR conversion, however this method will considerably lower black crush to an insignificant level like other phones such as mentioned the Motorolla one zoom.

MV
Rising Star II
nightmaster552

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/116224#Comment_116224

It's not just the Rog panel, there are multiple OLED panels suffering from this issue. You clearly didn't get the memo that even 60hz OLED screens do have black crush as well.

I tested a Motorola One Zoom and it has indeed black crush as well, altho not as "heavy" as the Rog3.

Another thing that I find very curious is that people here seem to have the idea that it's a hardware defect while also saying that the Rog2 had no such issues despite having borderline the same panel, only difference is that the Rog3 has a slightly modified version of the Rog2 panel.

As for the entire "do you really think google forgot basics of image processing".

Go to google and type: "Explained: Why this photo crashes some Android phones".

nuff said. They have plenty room to improve on it and their lazy transparent white overlay they put on chrome and youtube is laughable. Which again, you can test for yourself by starting any youtube video and rotate it.

As for reasons for black crush: Some will be caused by bad gamma levels, some by bad SDR to HDR conversion and others by both. However whats needed for a 100% fix would be a custom gamma level for each individual device and a proper SDR to HDR conversion, once that's in place the OLED panels can be fixed. However due to color shifting in higher brightness, also the feature to set the correct gamma level should be a thing for each brightness level in step of 10%.

This is the only thing Asus could possibly do in order to get the best results possible.

They should also integrate this feature in their setup of the device, taking an image that does a black level test.

Then ask the user to set the gamma level until they can see all numbers from 1 - xx. If they do this, then Asus has already the optimal solution for the black crush issue on their phones from their side. I don't think it's reasonable to assume that Asus knows how to make their own SDR to HDR conversion, however this method will considerably lower black crush to an insignificant level like other phones such as mentioned the Motorolla one zoom.

View post
Again you are mixing things up. What you said can be found all over internet. And I know about the image crashing fiasco. As you seem to have done all the research in the world on oled panels and ready to build a custom kernel and a rom(would love that to happen soon on XDA), I wouldn't argue much, just the fact to consider is ASUS had sometime after Rog2 to calibrate the panel and test it thoroughly with even higher refresh rate before end product was onto users hand and then having a fuss created about it. I would love to have a dedicated post from them about the issue and what they have done so far to ease out the panic everyone is having.

mdayyub_bth19
Star II
Hey asus team, i have installed the letest fota version but but still m facing heavy black crashes issues. Please solve this issue as soon as possible.
Thanks team ASUS INDIA

sanjaykr_kundu
Star III
after .70 update the issue seems to be reduces in certain app, but in the other hand the issue is now coming in max brightness (in games like MCOC) which was not present in last update.

@ARP_ASUS @Anders_ASUS could you please check this.