This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual firmware update = solution to charging/temperature shut off??

Nago
Star I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Rog Phone 2 (Tencent)
Firmware Version: WW_16.0622.1906.19_0
Rooted or not: Not rooted
Frequency of Occurrence: every time I charge or do something that causes the phone's core temp to rise
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
So, I came on here like several other people with the problem of my phone shutting down when the core temperature was raised anywhere above 39 degrees celsius. Upon doing a deep drive into the problem, I noticed that another problem I have is my Tencent version of the phone hasn't been getting updates since I purchased it last year November. Looking around, I found a way to change my Fingerprint and Product ID from "CN" to "WW" but didn't want to do so because I didn't want to void the warranty I still had.
So, I called Asus about my charging problem and Ricardo M. e-mailed back saying "You purchased your device in China and you would have to contact China support for RMA/repairs on your device." Well that's not an option.
My question is, if I do go about changing my Fingerprint and Product ID from "CN" to "WW" and manually update to the latest "WW" firmware on my phone, would that even fix or change the problem I'm having with charging/temperature shut off? I mean, is it a hardware issue or a software issue?
I don't want to go through the hassle of changing and updating my device only to have the underlining charging/temperature issue to still be there. Please advise.
2 REPLIES 2

ronald1985
Community Legend I
Nago

Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:

1. Model Name: Rog Phone 2 (Tencent)
  2. Firmware Version: WW_16.0622.1906.19_0
  3. Rooted or not: Not rooted
  4. Frequency of Occurrence: every time I charge or do something that causes the phone's core temp to rise
  5. APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):

In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.

========================================

So, I came on here like several other people with the problem of my phone shutting down when the core temperature was raised anywhere above 39 degrees celsius. Upon doing a deep drive into the problem, I noticed that another problem I have is my Tencent version of the phone hasn't been getting updates since I purchased it last year November. Looking around, I found a way to change my Fingerprint and Product ID from "CN" to "WW" but didn't want to do so because I didn't want to void the warranty I still had.

So, I called Asus about my charging problem and Ricardo M. e-mailed back saying "You purchased your device in China and you would have to contact China support for RMA/repairs on your device." Well that's not an option.

My question is, if I do go about changing my Fingerprint and Product ID from "CN" to "WW" and manually update to the latest "WW" firmware on my phone, would that even fix or change the problem I'm having with charging/temperature shut off? I mean, is it a hardware issue or a software issue?

I don't want to go through the hassle of changing and updating my device only to have the underlining charging/temperature issue to still be there. Please advise.

Manual firmware update = solution to charging/temperature shut off??
I would probably go for getting your money back if you're having the problem for both a likely hardware issue (the advice was to take the phone to service centre when shutting down) and not being able to get updates or if you're wanting to switch from CN to WW because if you do it yourself, you are already voiding warranty. With the money back, you can then decide whether you want to get another ROG device.

ronald1985
Community Legend I
I forgot to mention, the updates to firmware you can do yourself but choose the correct firmware (in your case, it is CN version) from here:
ROG Phone II BIOS & FIRMWARE | Phone | ASUS Global