KenWong
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: ROG 3 WW 12GB RAM / 512GB ROM
Firmware Version: Update 70
Rooted or not: No
Frequency of Occurrence: All Time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): System Wide
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
July Batch Update 58
july-update-58.jpg
==============================================================
July Batch Update 70
july-update-70.jpg
===================================================================
August Batch Update 70
august-update-70.jpg
===================================================================
August Batch Update 70 Mid Brightness
august-update-70-mid-bright.jpg
=========================================================================
Observation and Feedback
=========================================================================
IMPORTANT - READ (Additional Observation 2)
As my device is July batch, I see no differences in term of black crush issue improvement.
However, I have noticed my friend's August batch does benefit from this update, But is not all fixes as Mid brightness still shows black crush issue. But the fixes of black crush issue in low brightness does also sacrifice the good grey it used to have, it which it have turned red tint, similar to ROG Phone 2.
What I conclude from the observation is that, Black Crush issue is a hardware issue. August batch or later may be able to perform workaround to reduce black crush, but July batch may be out of luck.
With that, I going to attempt once again to claim for warranty in which they rejected by using this proof, hopefully get replaced with august or later re visioned screen.
Feedback to Asus Dev Team
If you managed to tune the the remaining black crush issue for all range of brightness, with little red tint should be acceptable for general use, albeit still not ideal for the price, but those early adopter will have to stuck up with the issue (August or later batched). Who knows if Sep or Oct batched might completely eliminate such issue.
Therefore, I think is a good direction to tune it similar to ROG Phone 2 first. Red tint is still way better than black crush.
+++++
Additional Observation 1:
Seems like low brightness black crush issue still shows for game (Eve Echoes) which mainly consist of dark environment. Issue exist on both July and August batch at update 70.
+++++
Additional Observation 2:
I realized the method used to reduce back crush in Update 70 is not kernel level tweaking, but rather, app target based. This is evident because using the same video, if I open Youtube, screen became red tint but low brightness black crush is fine. However, if I open the same video using Google Chrome, black crush issue is exactly the same as before update, grey was not red tinted either. This explain why it fixes nothing for games.
Come on, I'm expected the tweak to be applied System wide but not such dirty patches, you may want to avoid red tint on other scenario but be reminded you don't have the capacity to monitor all apps either. Please apply patches system wide.
New Bug to note, random phone locking and unlocking cause screen to be extremely dark and red tinted until reboot.
9 REPLIES 9

John_p
Rising Star I
Which scene / video is this I want to check how it looks on my device

KenWong
Star III
John p

Which scene / video is this I want to check how it looks on my device

View post
From Youtube. (Title: The Gold Shirt) (Channel: Viva La Dirt League) Scene range = 00:28 to 00:34

gfg59204
Star III
(July Batch Update 70) At what brightness did you test the screen؟

I have july unit and this my result in 0% brightness
img-20200921-wa0014.jpg

KenWong
Star III
gfg59204

(July Batch Update 70) At what brightness did you test the screen؟

I have july unit and this my result in 0% brightness

img-20200921-wa0014.jpg

View post
0% brightness. hmm guess my theory about July batch is wrong, now is more of a roulette. Not all July unit is bad from your info.