Aryan202
Community Legend I
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: Rog 3
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not:
Frequency of Occurrence:
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
Admin

【Version】

【Model Name】

ROG Phone 3 ZS661KS

【Release Date】

2020/09/21

Since the server pushes update notice to different serial numbers by batches, it may take some days for you to receive the FOTA notice. Thanks for your patience. You may tap “System updates” in [Settings] >[System] to check if there is new firmware available. Or, you can also try to manually update firmware by referring to the following link.

How to update firmware on my phone?

【Release Note】

1. Added “Bypass charging” feature in the in-game Game Genie panel. Allows you to power the system without charging the battery.
  2. Enabled VoLTE/VoWiFi on ICE (Norway).
  3. Updated Android security patch
  4. Fixed the issue with display brightness irregularities after locking/unlocking device
  5. Fixed mobile network instability issue with HK network
  6. Fixed the manual screen refresh rate cannot be maintained in low brightness 
  7. Improved display quality when playing video.
  8. Fixed the issue where the display brightness could become brighter after unlocking the device
  9. Fix the issue where in certain instances the original charger and cable could not charge the device
  10. Fix issue where in specific cases calls could not be received
  11. Fixed SMS issue when used KDDI SIM
  12. Update APN list

[200918] ROG Phone 3_ZS661KS_WW_17.0823.2008.70

39 REPLIES 39

GameOjas
Rising Star I
Omg 😱 I don't see any black crush issue after the update. Is it just me?
screenshot-20200921-161113207.jpg
Edit: never mind it's still fcuked
Low brightness 0% - 20% : reddish screen but almost no black crush
Medium Brightness 30% - 65% big black crush
High brightness 70% to 100% way less black crush but a lot more grey.

It has to be the OLED panel quality. I can't imagine that Asus doesn't know how to calibrate display.
Asus this is time to admit the issue and replace display panels.

as19103
Rising Star I
MV

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/115367#Comment_115367

I wished you were true but that all boils down to hardware. If you are a pc gamer you know how hard is to capture correct color gamut, hdr with high refresh rate and low price. Thats why we have cheap TN panels with high refresh rate and not so good color reproduction. On mobiles it's not a hell lot of different thing, for a better amoled panel OEM have to do trade off between components. If you want best amoled with 144hz you got to have a fortune to spend on that kind of stuff because issues with cheap panels can only be caliberated not rectified with software.

View post
Yes, I agree with you. Achieving such high refresh rates with color accuracy is difficult task and is more related to hardware calibration. Since this tech still needs more time to mature I believe we have to live with some tradeoffs till then.

as19103
Rising Star I
MV

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/115367#Comment_115367

I wished you were true but that all boils down to hardware. If you are a pc gamer you know how hard is to capture correct color gamut, hdr with high refresh rate and low price. Thats why we have cheap TN panels with high refresh rate and not so good color reproduction. On mobiles it's not a hell lot of different thing, for a better amoled panel OEM have to do trade off between components. If you want best amoled with 144hz you got to have a fortune to spend on that kind of stuff because issues with cheap panels can only be caliberated not rectified with software.

View post
Yes, I agree. Achieving such high refresh rates with color accuracy is difficult taks and is more dependent on hardware calibration rather than software. Since this high refresh rates on mobile devices is still not mature and i guess we will have to live with some tradeoffs till then.

GameOjas
Rising Star I
as19103

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/115447#Comment_115447

Yes, I agree. Achieving such high refresh rates with color accuracy is difficult taks and is more dependent on hardware calibration rather than software. Since this high refresh rates on mobile devices is still not mature and i guess we will have to live with some tradeoffs till then.

View post
I don't want 144hz with cheap color reproduction. I would rather take 90hz display with good colors and not black crush issue.
I bought ROG 3 for snapdragons 865
There are no good game that can support more than 90hz anyways.
Asus just for the sake of using 144hz as a marketing gimmick. Totally burned the ROG phone brand to the ground.

as19103
Rising Star I
GameOjas

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/115488#Comment_115488

I don't want 144hz with cheap color reproduction. I would rather take 90hz display with good colors and not black crush issue.

I bought ROG 3 for snapdragons 865

There are no good game that can support more than 90hz anyways.

Asus just for the sake of using 144hz as a marketing gimmick. Totally burned the ROG phone brand to the ground.

View post
yes, lower refresh rate like 90Hz with better color accuracy is the best option.