ROG 3 suffers from heavy black crush issue

Cpz
Star III
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name:ROG
Firmware Version:
Rooted or not:not
Frequency of Occurrence:QKQ1.200419.002. WW_Phone-17.0823.2007.25
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app):netflix,amazon prime india ,youtube(little bit)
In addition to information above, please also provide as much details as you can, e.g., using scenario, what troubleshooting you've already done, screenshot, etc.
========================================
I have brought device August 12 ,2020 through flipkart first sale at 6auhust. I was very happy until i open netflix ,it has vert bad black crush issue even at full brightness ,in 50pecent brightness colour washed out heavy black crush issue is this hardware or software issue??anyway im just gonna refund ....but i asked some of YouTubers they have none issue ,but for fellow customers only have this😓. I decided to live with this but some of units have no issue why i wanna live with this issue for years so i try to get refund and but 12gb varient.
In YouTube crush issue is little low when compared to netflix and amazon prime ,rather than that this dev is beast 😍
I have noticed heat in aero active coller side(40°to43°) always while playing pupg at 90hz,balanced,extream . although I'm staying in AC room 22°c all time!

screenshot-20200814-161049930.jpg
img-20200813-wa0011.jpg
picsart-08-13-04-46-11.jpg
picsart-08-13-04-44-38.jpg
img-20200813-wa0012.jpg

993 REPLIES 993

Sunaina
Rising Star I
skailash2001

@Sunaina I have a OnePlus 8 pro at my home and there's no problem with it. It's perfectly alright and has none of the problems mentioned by you and other OnePlus 8 pro users. That's is what I am using to compare with this and it has really good black crush management on all brightness and refresh rates. I didn't have to lose anything. But I have to let go of contrast on this phone which I don't know if I can.

View post
Ohk mine had a lot of issues (replacement too)
A guy I know got one (August manufacturing date) that had issues too
And all OnePlus did was increase minimum brightness for black crush
I posted my experience on OnePlus telegram group and reddit and found out that it was pretty widespread and oneplus wasn't doing anything about it,hence many including me got a refund
It wasn't just the black crush tho,I had tint,punch hole black bar,and weird display artifacts and uneven tint ,the thing I'm glad on rog is even tint 🤞

Sunaina
Rising Star I
MV

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/115361#Comment_115361

60hz had very minimal issue. If you test more on different brightness levels and different frequency, lower brightness levels true blacks have become grey at 120 and 144hz. If thats ok for a amoled panel having high freq kudos to you. For me it's still an issue that can be fixed with FOTA.

View post
You gain some you lose some
I'm fine with this tho, depends on you btw
Low brightness black crush has been solved and I I'm fine with a bit greyish darks at high brightness so it's a fair trade for me

skailash2001
Rising Star I
Yeah, the phone is now ok-ish for media consumption. But before this update it was unusable. But I just can't live with the fact that when I watch HDR ( or anything for that matter ), there's no black at high brightness at which the content looks it's best.

himverma2012
Rising Star II
as19103

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/115317#Comment_115317

Can you please check ad let me know if you see the same kind of washed out colors on screen shot attached using same wallpaper. I have marked the area in red.This is on lowest brightness and auto refresh rate.

It looks more washed out in real.

img-20200921-124836-1.jpg

View post
Yeah, I can see the washed out colors in that portion. But only on minimum brightness

as19103
Rising Star I
himverma2012

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/115334#Comment_115334

Yeah, I can see the washed out colors in that portion. But only on minimum brightness

View post
Thanks for the confirmation.