This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are we not getting security updates in a regular Interval

sathishinsat2
Rising Star II
Asus, May I know the reason behind not sending security updates on regular interval? Do you think that security updates are not required to keep our phone secure from security threat?
When other leading brands are doing it properly, why not Asus? Can you share your problem or difficulty behind this delay. @Gustav_ASUS
Thanks
23 REPLIES 23

jfkeiuxje
Rising Star I
i hope it fixes battery drain too

FiREPLAY
Rising Star I
ronald1985

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/113095#Comment_113095

Even though this post is about the security updates and not new features update, I am happy to respond back on how I feel about the new updates.

The problem with "new features" is apps are already out there on Play Store for them and it doesn't need to be built in. Otherwise the phone will become bloaty like other phone manufacturers. This what makes Android good, the customisability without relying on the manufacturer. If manufacturer starts forcing apps on the phone, you will be complaining like some other dude on the forum complaining about Facebook and Google being on. Imagine Facebook not being there and everyone will be asking for it to be on and must have because of the popularity. The point there is if one user on the forum gets a new feature implemented on the phone, the problem becomes bigger because everyone will be demanding for what they want to be on the phones.

They added VOLTE on your request didn't they? Before you say it should be there in the first place, then that would be the fault of the users not doing their research. A good research would of told you which phones are capable of VOLTE.

Personally, I like the phone how it is. Anything that I want is just download it from Play Store. I made a comment on the new features list that I want to see ROG 2 what is new app. Clearly no one was interested, but that is the point I am making that just because a dozen of you want new features, you have some dont. Obviously the numbers do help, but thats up to the manufacturer.

View post
No apps can ever beat native OS implementation, as for being bloaty..... so from your point of view, with all the features that R3 has then its a bloaty device right? 😂 You sound really biased there bud like a typical fanboy, don't be blind.
Yeah sure we've got a bunch of updates and fixes and we do thank ASUS developers for that, but this doesn't mean they can skimp from bringing new features to their flagship device? heck R2 is just a year old now and mine is still under warranty, and yet after all these months of A10 release we still haven't see a single feature being added to the global rom. CN version of R2 has many of the same feature as R3 and it has those SW features since its release last year, and here we are just waiting for something new to be added.
I personally love the device but good luck having us R2 users as your future customers ASUS, we'll lose faith and move on to another brand if you keep up with this negligence.

ronald1985
Community Legend I
FiREPLAY

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/113223#Comment_113223

No apps can ever beat native OS implementation, as for being bloaty..... so from your point of view, with all the features that R3 has then its a bloaty device right? 😂 You sound really biased there bud like a typical fanboy, don't be blind.

Yeah sure we've got a bunch of updates and fixes and we do thank ASUS developers for that, but this doesn't mean they can skimp from bringing new features to their flagship device? heck R2 is just a year old now and mine is still under warranty, and yet after all these months of A10 release we still haven't see a single feature being added to the global rom. CN version of R2 has many of the same feature as R3 and it has those SW features since its release last year, and here we are just waiting for something new to be added.

I personally love the device but good luck having us R2 users as your future customers ASUS, we'll lose faith and move on to another brand if you keep up with this negligence.

View post
You are right about the native apps implementation is better. So if everyone starts requesting for their own features, surely we have a problem. Which one comes first, when does it stop?
I might be bias, but adding new features can get bloat or in this case bloatier. So yes to refer back to your statement, because the phone specifcation are different between R2 and R3, R3 will be relatively hogging up more resource than R2. You cant see that because the extra hardware on R3 i.e. RAM is making up the memory usage by the extra features.
Everyday, software and apps get more resource intensive and this is why we change phones after a few years. By adding and more to the phone, the phone will struggle at some point. It is also the reason why manufacturers stops doing updates after 2 years.
I cant say much about losing customers, thats customers decision in the end and ASUS business model. Adding new features to the latest model, customers come back. I will say Samsung again because I owned many Samsungs, i mean i havent seen much features coming out except change in how the apps look there and there. Maybe it is just me again and being unlucky and the features come up on their next model.
But I want to hear about other manufacturers from everyone else's experience to see if they have received new features and they are without having to move onto new models. The simplest explanation to all of this is, a manufacturer do not do these for free.
Bug fixes, I guess bug fixes can be quicker for supporting devices but theres going to be reasons why for it. We see bug fixes coming on FOTA and unfortuately its not the ones that has been raised or that affects the people who raised them. I guess thats the reality of everything.
Sometimes, some of the guys here need to cut some slack for the moderators and admins here. At the end of day, they are only passing messages to the relevant departments. But they are knowledgeable and friendly when you give them questions. If a serious complaint needs to be made, you can do that to the HQ. Why the fuss in bring your fustrations onto the moderators and admin here.
I have ranted on quite alot and do feel free to reply back. I like debates so do keep them coming (if you dont mind). After all, this is a forum for everyone.
Good day to you all and stay safe.

FiREPLAY
Rising Star I
ronald1985

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/113492#Comment_113492

You are right about the native apps implementation is better. So if everyone starts requesting for their own features, surely we have a problem. Which one comes first, when does it stop?

I might be bias, but adding new features can get bloat or in this case bloatier. So yes to refer back to your statement, because the phone specifcation are different between R2 and R3, R3 will be relatively hogging up more resource than R2. You cant see that because the extra hardware on R3 i.e. RAM is making up the memory usage by the extra features.

Everyday, software and apps get more resource intensive and this is why we change phones after a few years. By adding and more to the phone, the phone will struggle at some point. It is also the reason why manufacturers stops doing updates after 2 years.

I cant say much about losing customers, thats customers decision in the end and ASUS business model. Adding new features to the latest model, customers come back. I will say Samsung again because I owned many Samsungs, i mean i havent seen much features coming out except change in how the apps look there and there. Maybe it is just me again and being unlucky and the features come up on their next model.

But I want to hear about other manufacturers from everyone else's experience to see if they have received new features and they are without having to move onto new models. The simplest explanation to all of this is, a manufacturer do not do these for free.

Bug fixes, I guess bug fixes can be quicker for supporting devices but theres going to be reasons why for it. We see bug fixes coming on FOTA and unfortuately its not the ones that has been raised or that affects the people who raised them. I guess thats the reality of everything.

Sometimes, some of the guys here need to cut some slack for the moderators and admins here. At the end of day, they are only passing messages to the relevant departments. But they are knowledgeable and friendly when you give them questions. If a serious complaint needs to be made, you can do that to the HQ. Why the fuss in bring your fustrations onto the moderators and admin here.

I have ranted on quite alot and do feel free to reply back. I like debates so do keep them coming (if you dont mind). After all, this is a forum for everyone.

Good day to you all and stay safe.

View post
"Extra hardware on R3 i.e. RAM is making up the memory usage by the extra features."? Whaaaaat? looool bud you don't understand anything about how android works at all do you? This message definitely shows that you're a devoted fanboy.
Anyway have a good day. Adios.

ronald1985
Community Legend I
FiREPLAY

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/113504#Comment_113504

"Extra hardware on R3 i.e. RAM is making up the memory usage by the extra features."? Whaaaaat? looool bud you don't understand anything about how android works at all do you? This message definitely shows that you're a devoted fanboy.

Anyway have a good day. Adios.

View post
To give some perspective to everyone else who does understand what I have said, have a look at the firmware file sizes as it is not getting smaller is it. Running a software will always be bigger than the initial installation file. I have 12GB of RAM and I am using 4.9GB at the moment. For the guys who have the 8GB RAM, lets just say whenever new features come along or A11, it will struggle more. Don't be deluded because it bites back 😉