Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic functionality: Airtel voWiFi not available in India

ImShrey
Rising Star II
Please tell us some basic information before asking for help:
Model Name: RoG Phone 2
Firmware Version: 0.27 (Android 10, latest FOTA)
Rooted or not: Not
Frequency of Occurrence: Missing completely / All the time
APP Name & APP Version (If your issue relates to the app): System it self
Airtel carrier does support voice over wifi, since almost 6-8 months now.
Officially many entry level cheap smartphones too support this, say 100$ devices.

Its been 3-4 fota updates now, everytime changelog mentions some carrier's voWiFi is added, but still Number #1, by subscribers count India: Airtel's, voWiFi is not supported in RoG Phone 2

Why so? This should be coming from us, its not a feature request, its simply a missing basic functionality. This is really not the flagship experience we put our money for.
Please give us a ETA.

screenshot-20200913-172550655.jpg

18 REPLIES 18

ImShrey
Rising Star II
Anders_ASUS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/112703#Comment_112703

When we say that we're working on it, it means that we're talking to Airtel. This is not something we can simply activate from our end without their permission. Contracts needs to be signed and testing needs to be done before something like this can be activated. This process takes time and has to be done for every operator (and every phone).

View post
Okay, see this what should have been communicated at first place. Whole "contracts" and stuff, as normal users won't know how this goes. "We are working on it" is such a vague thing.
Really appreciate this response @Anders_ASUS .

But then again I wonder, why the process taking this long? I mean 3rd tier brands, like Tecno and Mobil, are able to get that on their entry level offerings. Asus being tier 1 brand, it should be on priority level of airtel. Is something wrong?

Last I checked, only asus is not there in supported devices list on Airtel website.
This means, no other asus device has this, not even 2 years old Zenfone 5 series.
Are we good with Airtel? Or is it complicated?

ImShrey
Rising Star II
Anders_ASUS

When we say that we're working on it, it means that we're talking to Airtel. This is not something we can simply activate from our end without their permission. Contracts needs to be signed and testing needs to be done before something like this can be activated. This process takes time and has to be done for every operator (and every phone).

View post
Okay, see this what should have been communicated at first place. Whole "contracts" and stuff, as normal users won't know how this goes. "We are working on it" is such a vague thing.
But then again I wonder, why the process taking this long? I mean 3rd tier brands, like Tecno and Mobil, are able to get that on their entry level offerings. Asus being tier 1 brand, it should he on priority level of airtel. Is something wrong?

Last I checked, only asus is not there in support devices list on Airtel website.
This means, no other asus device has this, not even 2 years old Zenfone 5 series.

bala_wings
Star III
A twitter user! Lol.. @Anders_ASUS can you check this.

ImShrey
Rising Star II
shreyashshah16

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/112861#Comment_112861

But then again I wonder, why the process taking this long? I mean 3rd tier brands, like Tecno and Mobil, are able to get that on their entry level offerings. Asus being tier 1 brand, it should be on priority level of airtel. Is something wrong?

Last I checked, only asus is not there in supported devices list on Airtel website.

View post
Anders_ASUS

View post
So according to airtel, brand has to implement this for us.

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
Airtel will of course focus on the number of devices from each brand that use Airtel. They're making the same amount of money on each user regardless if they have the cheapest or most expensive phone.
The support agent you spoke to is wrong. ASUS India needs to reach an agreement with Airtel. When they have agreed, then we need to test it so it works. After this, VoWiFI can be activated via FOTA.
So you could ask ASUS India how far they've gotten. If they believe that you might get it already this year. You also need to tell them which phone you have as VoWiFi is added by each device