This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS accuracy is really bad

Darkwood
Star II
The GPS accuracy for tracking when I am running is really bad. The Zenfone 6 counts the kilometers badly by adding a lot of meters (more than 100) before reaching a kilometer. Compared with different mobiles the Zenfone is the worst.
Can you improve it with an update? Is vey annoying running with this phone.

The screenshots are from different tracking software (endomondo and strava) 101j9nquhtbr.jpgcduz9vpejx55.jpg
12 REPLIES 12

kooldude7285
Rising Star II
dyaugtlpdqvw.jpglooks fine to me. i am from India. 

Anders_ASUS
Hall of Fame III
I can't say why your phones have unstable GPS signals, if this happens all the time. If this is something that happens to you just sometimes, then I will have to say that it's normal.

My own ZenFone 6 has an accuracy of 3-4m which is perfectly normal for a phone. I have tried it next to other ASUS phones and competitors while walking around. Even though they all perform differently from time to time, they perform equally when putting all the results together.

The compass on all devices were also all inaccurate at some point and some even gut stuck which was easily fixed with a calibration in google maps. So it is just the technology as a whole.  Some times you get great results, sometimes you do not. It is unfortunately normal if the compass is not accurate all the time but it should work most of the time and calibration is something you need to do quite often if you're trying to orient yourself while standing still.

Bottom line, a phone GPS is never as accurate as a dedicated GPS. Its main purpose is for navigation and not accurate measurements of a long run as these kind of measurements are never locked to the road (as when navigating). For this purpose, if high accuracy is of importance, you need to buy a professional GPS tracker.

If you suspect that your devices GPS is not working properly, then please compare it with other phones. You can always contact ASUS Service and ask them to test it if your ZenFone 6 wasn't performing nearly as well as the other phones you compared it with.

Darkwood
Star II
The problem is that me and other users have a zenfone with inaccurate GPS. My answer is if Asus can fix it with a firmware update or need I to send the phone back to the shop and buy another phone.
I have compare it with a Samsung S7, honor 8 and a Huawei.

Giorgio80
Star III
me too, i have compared compass accuracy while walking with Oneplus 5T. With Zenfone 6, compass calibration is very unstable (most of times it stays on LOW precision) and it's not possible to improve precision doing the "8" calibration movement.

Saran
Rising Star II
Yes, the accuracy is way too off than other phones