System: UM425IA firmware 304, 305, 306
Battery or AC: Either
Model: UM425IA-NH74
Frequency of occurrence: When waking from sleep
Reset OS: All Windows, ASUS, and AMD drivers up to date for Windows 10
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:
After putting laptop to sleep using power button, closing lid, or after powWindows er setting timeout, it sometimes will not wake normally. This seems to happen most when the sleep time is more than a few minutes.
Behavior when trying to wake up the laptop is as follows and it does not matter how the laptop was put into sleep ( closing lid, power button, or timeout) or how the attempt to wake was made (opening lid, power button, keyboard, or trackpad):
Screen will be blue background with mouse cursor showing. Trackpad will not move mouse cursor.
Screen will be black with Windows "Hello" eye only on the screen. Sometimes a message will appear saying to dismiss lock screen, but neither keyboard nor track pad will work.
Screen will be black and nothing happens. Power switch light is slowly pulsing.
When any of these three behaviors happen, the laptop will either:
Do nothing until a hard power off is performed and the computer is restarted OR
Will eventually reboot on it's own (this a full reboot, not a wake up). Upon reboot, the track pad is sometimes not responsive OR
Will go to a blue screen with a Windows "Something Happened" message and the laptop will reboot then. This is different from number 2 above in that it has the Windows message.
After oogling and experimenting, it seems like this issue is related to one of the ASUS/AMD services that run at startup. When I disable these (see ng up from sleep works normally. Leaving these services disabled, though, is not an option as without them things like the backlit keyboard and f,utrackpad, nction keys don't work properly.
@Blake_ASUS : Can you check on this?
@vanbako : Have you seen this behavior on your UM425IA?
17 REPLIES 17

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Hello Will,
Thank you for the update.
I will consult more about this issue.
Thank you.

trepetti
Star I
I also saw this even after the 306 BIOS update and that it occurs on both Windows and Linux, so I suspect it is a firmware issue.

RAJU_MSC_MATHEM
Zen Master I
trepetti

I also saw this even after the 306 BIOS update and that it occurs on both Windows and Linux, so I suspect it is a firmware issue.

View post
disable hibernation completely .
adjust the power settings through advanced power settings.

Fletchasus
Star III
RAJU.MSC.MATHEMATICS

https://zentalk.asus.com/en/discussion/comment/111938#Comment_111938

disable hibernation completely .

adjust the power settings through advanced power settings.

View post
Did not enable hibernation until after the problem started and then only at the suggestion of @Blake_ASUS . I had already tried using Windows power settings (including the advanced power settings) to no avail. The only way sleep worked was if I disabled the ASUS and AMD services that run at startup. Unfortunately, disabling those services also disables keyboard backlight, hot keys, etc. and that is not a viable option. My belief at this point is that there is something in one or more of the several ASUS services that is causing a conflict with Windows and it's core power settings.

trepetti
Star I
For other people that encounter this issue, there is at least a good workaround on Linux. You can disable the AMD IOMMU with a kernel argument:
amd_iommu=off