Star III
System: Zenbook
Battery or AC: AC
Model: UM425IA-NH74
Frequency of occurrence: At low battery state
Reset OS: Manual uninstall of ACPI drivers
Screenshot or video:
========================
Detailed description:It appears that there is an issue with these Zenbooks that when the battery is in a low charge state, it will not charge while plugged in. My observations are not conclusive, but would like others to comment if they've seen a similar behavior.
Specifically, if the battery is above ~40% and is then plugged in, it will charge to the set amount by MyASUS (i.e. 60, 80, or 100%) as it should. However, if the battery gets into a low charge status, ~20% or below, it will not charge when plugged in to the OEM charger.
There seems to be a conflict between the Windows 10 power settings and those offered by MyASUS. In particular, even though the Battery Saver setting in Windows is switched off, Battery Saver will still activate at the threshhold shown in Windows settings. And it appears that once this Battery Saver level is reached, charging fails to start when plugged into the charger. Again, I cannot categorically say that this is the case, but it is what I've observed.
For example, while using the laptop on battery, I noticed that the Battery Saver turned on at 20% (the same level that was set in Windows though the Battery Saver setting itself is "off"). Plugging the laptop in to the charger at 18%, it would not charge (just showed "plugged in"). I ran the battery down to 10% and then to 8% but it would not charge. Note that the settings for "Low", "Reserve", and "Critical" in advanced power are all below 10%, so the observed behavior appears to be related in some way to the battery saver trigger level. The only way I could get the charge to work was to uninstall the ACPI drivers in Device Manager, shut the laptop down, and then plug it in. Once I did that, the laptop charged to the preset level (i.e 80%).
Upon restarting, the ACPI drivers automatically reinstall. Unplugging the laptop, I can run the battery down to 60, 50, 40 percent and then, when plugged in, it will recharge. There seems to be something failing when the battery gets to a low state. I've searched on line for answers and have found many...but none specifically address the problem. I have also uninstalled MyASUS to see if that's the problem, but the behavior I've observed remains.
I believe this is a settings/software/driver issue and not a hardware issue and would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

7 REPLIES 7

vanbako
Star I
I just got exactly the same issue with an UM425IA-AM005T
I shut down the laptop, connect power supply and it charges again, so it goes over 20% and I updated the BIOS to 305 (out today 8/31/20)
Hope the bios update solves the issue.

Fletchasus
Star III

vanbako

I just got exactly the same issue with an UM425IA-AM005T

I shut down the laptop, connect power supply and it charges again, so it goes over 20% and I updated the BIOS to 305 (out today 8/31/20)

Hope the bios update solves the issue.

View post
Thanks for posting. I'll update the firmware as well and see what happens. If you will, please post again after you've tried it and I'll do the same.

Fletchasus
Star III
Updated the firmware today. The description of the 305 firmware was of no help as it only stated that it was "Optimize system performance." Thanks Asus, you are a big help.
I changed the Battery Saver level in Windows power settings to 10% and left it switched off as before. I unplugged and ran the battery down from 80% stopping every so often to make sure it would begin charging. At each level I checked, battery charged as it should. At 10%, instead of getting a Battery Saver indication as I was getting before, I got a yellow warning triangle instead. I plugged it in at 10% and it started charging. I then unplugged it once again and took it down to 9% and plugged it back in...charging resumed.
So, at the moment, it seems that the firmware either fixed it or some other combination of the sun and moon alignment did. Either way, for now charging seems to be working as it should.
@vanbako what were your results?

Blake_ASUS
Community Legend II
Dear both,
I have reported this issue.
And will keep you updated.
Thank you.