This widget could not be displayed.
This widget could not be displayed.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blue Screen (WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR) with Intel UHD Graphics 620 driver on UX430UAR Zenbook

ch2day
Star II
System: Windows 10
Battery or AC: Both
Model: UX430UAR Laptop (Zenbook)
Frequency of occurrence: 50-60% of the time when lid is closed and reopened or display turns off/sleeps
Reset OS: Yes, several times
Screenshot or video: N/A
========================
Detailed description:
On Windows 10, I get a random blue screen (WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR) upon display turn on or off, as in sleep or return-from-sleep, close lid or, occasionally, shutdown. No minidump is recorded despite settings made for it.
A black screen used to happen occasionally after sleep the first year after purchase but not very often. It started happening more often after the one-year mark, possibly after Windows update 1903. Not sure at what point the blue screen started but it was probably this year.
This is a work computer so no games and no overclocking. BIOS settings are from factory (BIOS has been updated to the latest patch, 308) . Computer has always been kept up-to-date with Windows patches.
I'm an IT worker so I'm comfortable working with troubleshooting computers.

Troubleshooting actions tried:
BIOS update to 308 (latest available)
Disabling all possible devices one-by-one in Device Manager (Wifi, BT, card reader, fingerprint reader, display audio, system devices, etc.)
Tweaking power options such as disabling sleep, hibernation.
Installing driver versions downloaded from ASUS website (chipset, graphics and others) for this computer (labelled Coffee Lake) and for a very similar model UX430UA (labelled Kaby Lake).
Trying different versions of Intel Graphics driver (UHD Graphics 620) from Intel website, ranging from version 21 to the latest available.
I've wiped and re-installed Windows clean already 3 or 4 times, to different versions including the latest 2004, but the issue happens starts hapenning after the Intel driver is installed.
The only way to avoid the problem seems to be to disable or uninstall the Intel driver, but that leaves me without brightness control, etc.
ASUS - please advise which display driver works for this laptop!
1 REPLY 1

ch2day
Star II
OK, so it seems doing a BIOS reset ("Load optimized defaults") got rid of the BSOD. I forgot above that a couple months ago when I was dealing with the black screen upon wake I did make a change in the BIOS, as per a support article I found in the "My ASUS" app (which I'm unable to locate now), so this must have been what caused it (sorry, it's been a long road, but now it makes sense).
Unfortunately now I'm back to the black screen/not waking up from sleep that was happening before, which is also related to the same driver.
I'm going to open a new thread with a more specific description. Not sure how to close this one...